FORUMS: list search recent posts

BAtch monitor keeps going up and won't cancel

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilleke Doevendans
BAtch monitor keeps going up and won't cancel
on May 8, 2008 at 4:28:22 pm

Hi there,

I thought I'd try submitting a batch to compressor (3) from Final Cut yesterday. All went well until it reached the 7th clip, on which it froze. I say froze, but in actual fact, the time remaining just kept on climbing. Tried to cancel and it wouldn't. Tried to submit other batches and it just ignored them. Quit Compressor and Batch monitor and when I re-opened them, it was still there, steadily climbing in time.

I restarted and re-tried it, this time from a QT reference, so I could continue working in FCP. Again it got stuck on this clip, but was able to do others. So I gave up on that clip, restarted, and finished the rest. Today when i opened compressor, it had somehow found that clip again and was quietly trying to compress it. I can't cancel it, it won't go away if I restart it, I've deleted preferences, done disk repairs, and have tried re-installing. IT WON'T GO AWAY!!!!

Any help would be muchly appreciated! It was almost up to 3 hours at one point. The clip duration is only 5 seconds! Help!!!

2.5GHz PowerPC G5 | Mac OS X (10.3.9) | 4.5Gb DDR SDRAM

Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 | DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2 | Compressor 1.2.1

Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

-------------------------------
Mac Pro: Two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Studio 2 | Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: BAtch monitor keeps going up and won't cancel
on May 8, 2008 at 5:56:40 pm

See the post directly under this one, it may help you solve this issue.

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on May 9, 2008 at 8:26:01 am

Seen it. Tried it. Different problem.

My clip isn't actually compressing at all. The file is stuck at less than a third and try as I might I can't cancel it. I can't stop it. I can't get rid of it by closing the program. I can't even get rid of it by re-starting.

I've tried re-installing, as that's the only advice Apple gives, but have hit problems with that too. Please someone help!

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on May 9, 2008 at 11:28:08 am

Never mind. I've done a complete re-install and the clip finally seems to be gone.

Lets hope the rogue clip doesn't come back...

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on Sep 24, 2008 at 8:40:30 am

Months later and the problem has arisen again.

I've exported some QT refs from FCP. Taken these into compressor. Left them going over night, only to come in in the morning and it's still trying to compress the first clip and has been for 15 hours.

I've compressed these same clips last week and only changed a few minor things (titles and such) and they only took about 20-30 minutes that time.

I've tried closing Compressor and Batch Monitor. That doesn't stop it. Restarting the Mac doesn't stop it. And it seems to get stuck each time it tries to compress this clip.

ANY HELP will be very much appreciated as this seems to keep popping up, and I can't be re-installing the entire system every month!

Thanks

(The system this is happening on is running FC Studio 2, all with latest updates)

2.5GHz PowerPC G5 | Mac OS X (10.3.9) | 4.5Gb DDR SDRAM

Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 | DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2 | Compressor 1.2.1

Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

-------------------------------
Mac Pro: Two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Studio 2 | Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:04:01 am

I guess any support guy, including Apple support (and me!) would suggest that you need to update your OS, which is roughly three years out of date and they'd certainly tell you to get the latest version of compressor which is now on version 3.

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:17:32 am

Sorry I should have been clear about which system this problem is occurring on.

The OS is 10.4.11, bought earlier this year. And the version of Compressor is 3.0.3.

But thanks for your helpful tip anyway.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Sep 24, 2008 at 11:55:41 am

If it's getting stuck at a certain point in a certain clip/programme that would indicate a bit of 'bad' or unrecognised media. Does it stop at the same point in the same clip every time?

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on Feb 13, 2009 at 6:03:21 pm

Well, almost a year later, the same problem has cropped up again, and I still have no solution.

Again, restarting won't stop compressor from trying to compress this clip and the batch monitor keeps ticking away. I can get away with shutting down the computer and restarting it once or twice, but after 2 times that doesn't help either. I've tried tricking compressor by changing the source folders name - this worked once, but now it seems to find the clip where-ever it is.

Surely someone else must have come across this problem and have some kind of solution??? Please????

I have now deleted the source file and the batch monitor is still stuck on this clip - preventing me from starting any new compressions.

It does seem to get stuck at the same point in each file. I have 9 different language versions of the same sequence with minor changes. Most have compressed without any problems but 2 keep getting stuck. Any suggestions for preventing this once I finally get rid of the 'stuck' clip, would also be appreciated.

Any help or suggestions welcome. Thanks and have a lovely weekend!

Running:
Mac OSX v10.4.11
FInal Cut Studio 2 (i.e. Compressor 3.0.3, Final Cut Pro 6.0.4, etc.)

Return to posts index

Matt Babcock
on Mar 2, 2009 at 11:45:50 pm

I just had the same problem but i was able to get rid of the rogue clip by repeatedly force quitting but the transcoding and compressor job controller from the activity monitor. I had restarted several times before this without any luck. Hope that works for you.

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Apr 19, 2009 at 9:25:59 pm

I'm having the exact same problem....seems to be one rogue file from fcp or a qt reference of it. Must keep force quitting for it to go away...

Lots of time wasted this weekend...

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

Hilleke Doevendans
on Apr 20, 2009 at 8:23:55 am

Hi Dave,

I've found that exporting a quicktime with 'make movie self-contained' sometimes helps. Then compress from the QT.
If you can estimate where in the sequence it gets stuck on, check for any unusual frames. One time, getting rid of a camera flash in shot helped. but that may have been pure coincidence...
Or you can try re-render, then export a full QT. This has sometimes helped.

good luck!

Return to posts index

Dave Martin
on Apr 20, 2009 at 3:01:52 pm

I've definitely done all that...tried several codecs, from the timeline and from seperate QT.

Guess what actually worked? (And this was making a wmv with Flip4mac)

Size! Changed from 320 x 240 to 480 x 360 and BAM...everything worked great!

Who Knows?

Dave Martin

- MacPro - MacBook Pro -

Return to posts index

Brad Douglas
on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:50:43 pm

This may be of assistance:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/compressor_repair.htm

Had the same problem when encoding WMV files. Works great on Compressor 3.0.5

Return to posts index

jon miller
on Jan 21, 2010 at 2:37:34 am

This little download solved my problem beautifully.
Thank you.
It cleared out all the old batches listed and cancelled the ones that were stuck all while the program was still running.

Return to posts index

John Barata
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:24:23 pm

I had the same problem so I tried this little download and it worked like a charm. Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Alan Perry
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:10:44 am

Thanks for that, was having the exact same problem, the Compressor Repair worked beautifully.

Return to posts index

Mark Simon
on May 11, 2010 at 6:44:44 pm

Tried Compressor Repair and it helped a bit.

But new renders still took an extremely long time.

What worked: Opened up Compressor and under the Compressor menu, selected "Reset Background Processing..."

All better now.

Return to posts index

Ian Carruthers
on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:49:53 pm

Thank you, thank you thank you for the info on the Compressor Repair app. Jeepers, I needed that. Everything's workin' great now. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Eich
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:45:26 pm

I just had this same problem with the newest compressor and final cut pro X. I went into the utilities folder and opened my activity monitor and did force quits from there. Seemed to work. I was able to cancel everything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]