FORUMS: list search recent posts

keep compressing or pull the plug?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nida sinnokrot
keep compressing or pull the plug?
on May 7, 2008 at 7:58:39 pm

Hello All ,

Im compressing a 72 min 10bit uncompressed sequence for use in DVD Studio Pro. My Compressor settings are tweaked so that my Average bit rate is 5.5, the max is 7.2, Progressive, Open IBBP set to 6 and One Pass VBR. I made a lot of tests on short excerpts and found this combo of settings looked great so I let her rip on the full sequence.

Compressor initially estimated approx. 80 hrs and I patiently waited while my MacBook Pro 2.66 with 4 gigs of ram crunched away. Last night the estimated time to completion reached 1min 57sec and then, it started going backwards.... It's now been 12 hrs and tells me 2min and 57 sec remaining. Why is it creeping sooo slow now that it reached the end?? Should I abort or keep waiting? I have a decent sized end credit scroll... could that be the problem? Anyone have experience with this? Should I pull the plug?

ps
I have compressed this film before without problems but Im aiming for a better quality compression hence the tweaked settings.

pps
Now it's telling me 3 min 28 sec.... So now it's been at 99% complete for almost 24 hrs...AAARRRGGGHHH help?

Thanks all,
Marissa

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
nida sinnokrot
Re: keep compressing or pull the plug?
on May 8, 2008 at 1:30:22 am

Hello All, In case you have read this post and are wondering this is what I did after waiting few days:
Navigate to your destination drive
copy the M2V folder
quit compressor

Compressor claimed I was 99% done and kept working but in reality it HAD completed the compression.

Best,

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: keep compressing or pull the plug?
on May 8, 2008 at 8:42:04 am

Another one of the reasons I tend to avoid compressor!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]