FORUMS: list search recent posts

Square or PAL pixels to Squeeze?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per W. Rönnecke
Square or PAL pixels to Squeeze?
on May 6, 2008 at 11:57:57 am

Hi!

I'm a videoeditor with some skills in coding for the web. (I’m not an expert and yes I have bought Aarons DVD :-) I use to export DV-PAL from FCP and input to Squeeze to create flv-files. And that works fine!

Today I stepped into a new, exciting problem. We have a new customer, a streaming company, which wanted us to produce some movies for their clients web site. They wanted us to deliver the clips in DV 320x240, no other specifications. When the client published them they didn’t look as good as they (or we) wanted.

At first the streaming company told us that it was because we have delivered interlaced files. I tried to explain that it shouldn’t affect the quality only the interlace/deinterlace problem, if not they coding application (they encode in Flash for this project) made a poor quality while deinterlacing.

Then I found that if I import the file into Squeeze the program identified the file to 320 x 241. And somewhere (probably in the browser) the file has to be scaled one pixel = poor quality)

Then I made a full frame DV square pixel 768x576 and imported to Squeeze to scale it down and Squeeze still think the file is 320x241. Then I created a DV (PAL) 720x576 and Squeeze scales it to 320x 240.

So, my question is: Should you always import PAL-pixels to Squeeze (that will make it impossible to import files in other sizes than full frame) and other encoding applications?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Square or PAL pixels to Squeeze?
on May 7, 2008 at 9:03:36 am

There seems to be a fair amount of confusion in your post.

Firstly DV (as in MiniDV)PAL is only ever 720x576 non-square pixel.
I'm not sure how you created your DV file at 320x240 but it's not a proper, standard DV file - what was your workflow and which codec did you use?

Secondly, by reducing the frame size from 720x576 to 320x240 would, in most cases, remove interlacing.

Squeeze (and most other encoding applications can accept both square and non-square pixel input and can output both square and non-square pixel material, depending on the codec and format you choose. For example, MPEG-1 can be either square or non-square, the Sorenson codec can only be square pixel, DV is always non-square, H.264 can be either etc.

Can you post an example of your output?

Return to posts index

Per Rönnecke
on May 7, 2008 at 9:38:37 am

Hi, Daniel and thank you for your answer.

I agree with you in everything you write. The only confusion is the streaming company that ordered a DV file 320x240 since the output to .flv should be 320x240.

I created a DV-PAL timeline in FCP and exported using Quicktime, but tweaked the setting so the size of the DV-file should be 320x240. I didn't deinterlace. When the result of the .flv file was poor they blamed me and wanted me to give them new files that was deinterlaced, but still 320x240. I told them that deinterlacing probably not was the solution and I gave them standard DV-PAL files 720x576 instead. (Still haven't heard anything of the result)

They are coding in Flash that I don't have and I'm not familiar with.

I tried to create a .flv-file using the 320x240 files that they ordered from me, in Squeeze. But Squeeze asume that this is a no standard size and set the size to 320x241. That's why I gave the full frame files.

If I use the full DV PAL-file as an input to Sqeeze it accept the size 320x240.

Sorry if I confused you in my question :-)

/Per

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 7, 2008 at 4:10:52 pm

I would try exporting from FCP to another CODEC such as PhotoJPEG.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]