FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best stand-alone Media Encoding Software?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Melton
Best stand-alone Media Encoding Software?
on May 2, 2008 at 7:53:27 pm

We're using Adobe CS3 with Matrox Axio LE for editing/compositing, and for most of our needs the built in Adobe or Matrox Media Encoders has worked fine. But we're seeing a need for something a little more powerful, that can meet very tight specs. Plus, it would allow us to encode on another machine if needed.

What software might some of you recommend for encoding on Windows? Outputs will include Windows Media SD & HD, Mpeg-2 for broadcast and DVD, Quicktime at various quality and sizes, and hopefully Blu-ray if that's something that's possible.

And of course, it should be low in cost, fast, and easy to learn! :)

Thanks for any recommendations.

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: Best stand-alone Media Encoding Software?
on May 3, 2008 at 7:39:00 am

Canopus ProCoder, the new Sorenson Squeeze 5, or Flip4Mac's Episode all meet your overall requirements. ProCoder's the one I've had the most experience with in matching tight specs.

I do worry about your "MPEG-2 for broadcast" item there. Do you mean ATSC-compliant? If so, you may need to go higher-end and check out something like Rhozet Carbon or Inlet Fathom, which are awesome, but expensive.

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

Larry Melton
on May 3, 2008 at 1:53:29 pm

When I say "Mpeg2 for broadcast", I'm specifically talking about uploading to DG Fastchannel for TV spot distribution.
That's what they're requesting, at very stringent specs. Thanks for the recommendations.

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 3, 2008 at 2:05:24 pm

It seems for many, the toughest part of the DG spec is 720x512 from 480 or 486 with Vertical Blanking Interval.

On the Mac, Episode Pro does that. One would hope ProCoder can do that on Windows. MainConcept may also.

I addition to getting the VBI right you'd want to be able to hit their 18,000kbits/sec data rate for best quality. You also want to make sure encoding software doesn't force change the pixel aspect ratio since this is for TV and not computer.

You'd need to have 5 spots pass their QC so you'll know that your software/workflow is working before you deliver your first spot.

Return to posts index

Larry Melton
on May 4, 2008 at 4:18:52 pm

Yes, I was definitely thrown off by that 720x512 size, and that's actually what prompted this post.

Thanks for the comments.

Larry Melton
Triangle Productions Inc

Return to posts index

del chapple
on May 5, 2008 at 2:46:21 pm

DG just copied the Telestream Setting for "Contribution" 18MBs 422 720x512. The Digital Rapids Encoder is good enough and will do this profile, you can pad VBI and embed 608 cc if needed for other Vendors. I love Rhozet for farming and it'll also do the m2t 302m's needed for DG HD content.

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]