Expression Encoder 2 is out

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Waggoner
Expression Encoder 2 is out
on May 1, 2008 at 11:21:57 pm

I am extemely jazzed!

Lots of details on my blog here:

http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/Expression-Suite-2-and-Expression-Encoder-2-n...

Overall, it's my favorite compression tool since Movie Cleaner Pro 3.1, and the best WMV encoder less than $5000. And it fixes so many Windows Media Encdoer issues, adding QuickTime and MPEG-2 source support, good scaling and deinterlacing, high quality audio resampling, batch encoding, etcetera. Plus great Silverlight integration with Silverlight Streaming upload, lots of Silverlight templates, etcetera.

30-day free trial. Check it out!

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Expression Encoder 2 is out
on May 2, 2008 at 10:30:20 am

A very nice product, such a shame it doesn't support more output formats though.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on May 2, 2008 at 3:36:15 pm

Well, now that 2 is out, planning for 3 will commence.

What are the output formats you'd like to see, and where do you think Expression Encoder could bring unique value to those formats?

Ben Waggoner
Microsoft Corporation

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on May 2, 2008 at 10:49:13 pm

At the very minimum I'd like to see support for outputting to MPEG-4 pt 2 & pt 10, MPEG-2 upto HD and Flash.

Expression would bring value to those formats by being a low-ish cost, modern, well designed tool that included the "smart by default" wizardry.

It would be very nice to have a Mac version as well but I don't see hell freezing over anytime soon.

Bottom line though is that Expression is a way of pushing VC1 by way of making it easier to produce good looking results, it is not a stab at making a great transcoder, sadly.

I'll eat 4000 hats if Expression ever outputs to H.264.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on May 2, 2008 at 11:38:46 pm

Expression Encoder is a tool focused on Silverlight, not VC-1 per se. Version 2 was all about improving the Silverlight experience over broadening output format support.

We're not under any illusions that people would switch to EE for anything either than WMV/Silverlight.

Ben Waggoner
Microsoft Corporation

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on May 2, 2008 at 3:15:37 pm

Well, I can see why you would like it Ben, as a Microsoft employee. :-) And it may well be *your* favorite encoder since Cleaner 3.1, but for the rest of the real world where clients expect QT, FLV, and other output formats (not just wmvs), it doesn't compare at all to Cleaner (or current tools like Episode). The quality of WMVs may be great, but I think most people want a tool (like Cleaner was) that will give them more than just WMVs.
My encoder's 2 cents,
Ed

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on May 2, 2008 at 3:34:48 pm

Bear in mind that Cleaner 3.1 was almost exclusively a QuickTime-based tool, but i was DEEP. It did all kinds of things for the format that hadn't been done before or sense, and I'd say was a huge part of making QuickTime a viable delvery format in the late 90's.

Ben Waggoner
Microsoft Corporation

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]