FORUMS: list search recent posts

From DVD-Video to FCP

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brad hebert
From DVD-Video to FCP
on Apr 28, 2008 at 7:41:49 pm

I'm trying to get uncopyrighted video from DVD to Final Cut. I've found some ways to do it, but they seem a little sloppy and I want to make sure I convert things the best way.

I've used "MPEG Streamclip" with some success - but the audio always needs rendering in FCP. I was exporting as DV and resampling audio to 48k. It created files with ".dv" extensions - I'm not familiar with that. Should I export as Quicktime files?

I've also tried dragging the VOB files onto the computer, then encoding with Compressor. I can't get the audio to show up at all this way.

Help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: From DVD-Video to FCP
on Apr 28, 2008 at 7:55:16 pm

.dv is the DV data itself. It's actually what iMovie uses for example. When capturing DV into Final Cut Pro over firewire, for example, the audio and video is split. Not so with .dv.
Hope that isn't to confusing explanation as to what's happening.

What you'd need to do in MPEGStreamclip is set it to DV NTSC (or DV PAL) MOV file. On Windows you'd set it to an AVI extension.

In shot, set it to Export to Quicktime instead of DV. Set Compression to Apple DV/DVCPro NTSC. Set frame size to 720x480 DV-NTSC. You can set sound to Uncompressed Stereo Auto or you can change Auto to 48 kHz.

Return to posts index

brad hebert
Re: From DVD-Video to FCP
on Apr 29, 2008 at 12:51:46 am

Thanks for clarifying all that. Everything works well now. Actually, when I select Apple DV-NTSC, Streamclip automatically chooses 720x480(something)frame, instead of 720x480DV-NTSC. I say (something) because I can't remember exactly what it calls it right now. It seemed to work fine though. Is there a difference?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]