FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help Compressing Pro Res 422 (HQ) Footage to SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Beard
Help Compressing Pro Res 422 (HQ) Footage to SD DVD
on Apr 22, 2008 at 4:02:36 am

Hey guys, I need some help. I tried doing some research on this, but I'm having a hard time finding anything useful. I have a huge commercial campaign I'm finishing up, and I need some help getting these spots onto a dvd. I'm working with an Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) project. The footage was shot on a RED One at 4k at 23.98 fps. The client would like me to put together a DVD for them to show at their board meeting this weekend. I've tried a couple of things, but I'm coming up with some pretty ugly looking DVDs. I did a batch export of all the commercials into Uncompressed 10-bit 720x486 files for delivery to the TV stations, and tried throwing those files into compressor and using the Best Quality 90 min DVD. But the quality was horrible at the default 6.2 Mbps 2 pass.

Should I be coming right out of the Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) project into compressor? But then how do I go about making sure my scaling is proper and I'm not squashing anything? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Tyler Dixon
Re: Help Compressing Pro Res 422 (HQ) Footage to SD DVD
on Apr 26, 2008 at 6:24:49 am

Do you have the original footage that you can access? I'm working with RED footage and what I'm doing is taking the medium Quicktime proxy (1024x512) and moving it into a custom droplet I made in Compressor that is 720x360 (to keep the 2:1 ratio that the RED shoots in.) These are encoded in H.264, though. It seems odd that your video looked bad at 6.2 mbps; I made one of my videos with around 3mbps and it looked fine (at 720x386).

Admittedly, I haven't tried to make a dvd of the footage yet. (Just posted mine to the web.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]