FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest Compression from FCP (not bothered about quality)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jen Dunbar
Fastest Compression from FCP (not bothered about quality)
on Apr 11, 2008 at 12:09:52 pm

Hey.

Just wondering if anyone knows the quickest way to export a sequence from Final Cut Pro to final burn out to DVD. I need to make DVDs with timecode to be transcripted, so the quality isn't important as long you can see and hear what people are saying.

I've exported the sequence as a DV Quicktime file, then tried both iDVD (one step from Movie option), and Compressor (DVD 4:3 150mins Fastest Encode) and both seem to take forever.

I've also tried exporting the sequence and bringing it straight into DVD Studio Pro but this is taking an age a well.

I guess my question is, if I export the sequence as a reference (not self contained) file from Final Cut, what is the best setting to use in Compressor to produce a quick output file which I can bring in to DVD Studio Pro?

Any help on this would be great.

(NB I'm using Final Cut Pro 5.1.4 and Compressor 2.3)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Fastest Compression from FCP (not bothered about quality)
on Apr 11, 2008 at 1:45:37 pm

Export Quicktime Reference Movie. Set iDVD pref to "Best Performance."
If you go the Compressor to DVD Studio Pro route set Compressor to use One Pass CBR (or VBR for a more potential quality).

Use 8 Core Mac with healthy amount of RAM. Alas if time is money the cost of CPU vs time needed is a factor when making such compression/business decisions.

If they're going to be using a computer to view, consider making a one pass encode to WMV or MPEG4 (H.264 MOV will be slower) if that's an option. MPEG1 might even work fine in this type of situation.

Return to posts index

Jen Dunbar
Re: Fastest Compression from FCP (not bothered about quality)
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:31:33 pm

Thanks for that. I went for MPEG1 (with separate dolby audio) in the end. It was v quick, seems to work fine and also results in a pretty small file.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]