FORUMS: list search recent posts

XVID to MiniDV

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Huston
XVID to MiniDV
on Apr 10, 2008 at 10:09:08 pm

I've got a XVID AVI file that is all which remains of a video I cut. I'd like to put it to MiniDV with minimal quality loss. What steps and programs do you recommend to do that with?

I have a PC.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: XVID to MiniDV
on Apr 11, 2008 at 8:52:41 am

What software do you have that'll allow you to play out MiniDV to tape? E.g. Adobe Premiere
Is your PC Fireware enabled?

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:09:14 pm

I have generally all the standard video editing relating software for a PC. Regardless of what I currently have, what's the best software and technique to use? I'll see if I can get the right software if I don't have it.

Yes, it has firewire.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:30:57 pm

Simply put, you need to transcode the Xvid to DV. You could use a transcoder like Procoder or Squeeze or any number of others or you could use an NLE like Premiere, which would then allow you to play out the converted file to tape via Firewire.

Have a look at these:
http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/xvid/dv.php
http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

There no real technique to it as MiniDV is a fixed frame size, frame rate and data rate.

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:40:28 pm

Thanks for the links.

I guess what I'm wondering is... is there a program that will read xvid and print to tape? I'd like to avoid another compressing process because it's already not top notch at the moment.

Or do either of those programs linked just encode without compressing somehow?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:52:48 pm

Simple answer is no.

Long answer:
MiniDV tape only accepts the DV format. You HAVE to transcode. By transcoding to DV you'll likely be upping the bitrate by a large amount so you'll not exactly be compressing it. The MiniDV output will likely not look any worse than the Xvid, assuming that the Xvid has a frame size close to 720x480 or 720x576, if it's any smaller then it'll have to be scaled up and that'll almost certainly make it look much worse.

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:54:08 pm

Indeed. Alright thanks. I'll see if I can get anything good out of Squeeze or one of the ones you linked.

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Apr 12, 2008 at 12:05:50 am

So I was wrong about the codec! It was divx, not xvid. Anything I need to do special to get Sorenson Squeeze to READ divx? It errors when I try to import the file type.

Return to posts index

Kim Huston
on Apr 26, 2008 at 3:09:41 am

Alright. Here's a lovely new problem I'm having!

I've got the file working in Premiere Pro, Final Cut, AND MovieMaker (we tried it as an experiment). The latest versions of all. In all 3 programs, the print to video process seizes up shortly after the video starts and then proceeds to freeze again off and on until the video is done playing back.

I noticed it's generally in the same position on the timeline, so, thinking there might be something wrong with the "frame" (that's in quotes because it's not chopped into frames anymore, it is one solid exported video file that has no concept of when shots start), so I cut it out and tried again. It seized up in roughly the same point anyway.

I'm confused because in the playback of the avi file in just media player or something, it plays smoothly. It's only in this printing to tape process. On the Mac it was an mov. Same thing.

Oh, it also plays through solid in the editing programs in just the timeline. I thought maybe it was a ram thing, but each computer has 3 gigs of ram. I can't imagine even the minimum requirements for the programs just wouldn't do print to tape, let alone a computer somewhere in the middle of worst to best for the programs.

I'm really confused and frustrated by this. It's like the file is corrupt, but it's not because it plays solid both in the timeline and in a video player. So is there just some secret, unobvious setting I'm missing or something?

I don't have access to the Mac anymore tonight.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 26, 2008 at 10:15:07 am

Did you convert the file to DV format as suggested?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]