FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem compressing mixed 1080i/p FCP seq to M2v

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine Runge
Problem compressing mixed 1080i/p FCP seq to M2v
on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:12:28 am

I'm having trouble with choosing the correct settings for a mixed format project. I've got both HDV 1080i60 and 1080p24 media in a single sequence in Final Cut Pro. Everything plays fine in FC, but after putting it through Compressor, with the Native Field Dominace set to either 'Top First' or 'Bottom First,' the 1080i60 footage and the opening title (that I made in Final Cut using the Boris 3D text plugin) have what appear to be horizontal lines of pixels missing...making it look low-res. When I changed the field dominance to 'Progressive', the M2v file wouldn't play in DVD Studio Pro (although it does in both Quicktime and MPEG StreamClip). My 1080p24 footage looks fine either way. Is there a fix for this? (and reshooting isn't an option!)

Thanks!

~ Cathy

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Problem compressing mixed 1080i/p FCP seq to M2v
on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:09:59 pm

Maybe this will be of assistance:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306389

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:51:42 pm

progressive sd mpegs are legal as long as they are 23.98(the player adds the pulldown). if they are 30p or 60p they wont work. But finding the pull down after the fact that your reel is edited may just be impossible (if there even is a pulldown to find). an easy fix would be to just blur or deinterlace your 60i footage, your text should be clean if you just do the footage..

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:00:23 pm

The HDV "1080p24" footage is actually 23.98 ...but how do I go about deinterlacing the 60i footage?

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:03:52 pm

you are going to have to select each 60i clip in your seq and apply a deinterlace filter to it. is your time line at 60i or 23,98?

d

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:06:54 pm

The sequence is actually set to 29.97...I was told that 24p stuff would look better than in a 60i-conformed sequence.

Cathy Runge
Mary Productions

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Apr 8, 2008 at 6:00:44 pm

feilds or frames its all the same, interlace is no fun. Compessor isnt the best tool but you are taking HD and down converting to SD which sound like FCP is not doing a good job. you can avoid the interlace in a SD proj by conforming it to 23.98 but it may be to late for that. 2398 progressive dvd's look great and there are no fields to deal with. i would create a clean SD down convert QT by exporting to sd and possibly adding a blur to the HD source before you export to sd to try and smooth the picture out a little. not alot of blur , just a pixel or so..

compressor if it has a good source will do a decent job.

del

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 6:11:24 pm

Yeah theoretically I could still switch my seq setting back to 23.98, copy the footage and paste it into a new seq but then the 60i footage has that "choppy" look from the extra frames being dropped so as to play at 23.98fps. Grrr...so I will try your suggestion of exporting to Quicktime first--I agree that will most likely solve the problem, but I'll post later to announce the outcome.

Thanks!

Cathy Runge
Mary Productions

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 9:57:57 pm

...so the fix was embarrassingly simple. First off, my sequence was set to 1080i60. That was the problem. As soon as I switched my sequence setting to 1080p30, created a new sequence and did a copy/paste of my project to the new seq, the auto settings in Compressor showed the project as being entirely progressive, b/c the sequence setting is progressive. Thanks for the help!

Cathy Runge
Mary Productions

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Apr 8, 2008 at 10:00:21 pm

:)

del

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:36:26 pm

Just to clarify, all of my footage looks fine in Final Cut...the problem exists only after I've compressed it into an M2v. When I applied the de-interlace filter to the 60i clips in my sequence, it gave them that "low-res" look that shows up as a problem after compression. So it's gotta be some setting in Compressor that needs tweaking, right?

Return to posts index

Catherine Runge
on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:15:54 pm

Thanks for the article -- I'll definitely use that workflow next time I'm cutting mixed formats!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]