FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor: CBR Bitrate recommendations

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Kaye
Compressor: CBR Bitrate recommendations
on Apr 7, 2008 at 7:30:24 am

The material shot was NTSC DV 16:9. Will I see a difference with settings that are both set to CBR, one with the default bitrate of 5.0, and the other at a CBR of 7.7? I ask because the first yields an m2v file that can fit on a regular DVD, the second would require a DVD DL. This is a filmed play with very little fast action.

Meaning:
The DVDs are for non-commercial use. There will be a total of 10 DVDs made. Will the difference in the bitrates I used be noticeable, or rather not that noticeable? I can't see a difference on the MacBook Pro I'm using for this project.

Thanks...

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Compressor: CBR Bitrate recommendations
on Apr 7, 2008 at 9:06:28 am

The answer to that is totally subjective.

Without actually looking at the footage compressed at the different bitrates it would be impossible to say how much better the higher bitrate version look, if at all.

If you can't see a difference then it's unlikely that 'Joe Public' will.

Return to posts index

Les Kaye
on Apr 7, 2008 at 1:30:42 pm

Thanks Daniel.

http://www.leskaye.net

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Apr 10, 2008 at 5:08:53 pm

I think 5.0 is a bit low for CBR. Will it fit if you use 6.0? That should give you pretty good quality. Otherwise, I would use 2-pass VBR. 7.7 is pushing it a bit. Personally, I keep it below 7.5, and only if you are doing AC3 audio.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Apr 10, 2008 at 11:48:49 pm

5.0 mbps is perfectly fine for video with low motion, especially talking heads or public speakers at corporate shows. I just encoded a long video with 5.0 CBR and it looked exactly the same as the same video at 6.2 mbps. BTW, I would not use a bitrate as high as 7.7 mbps...you are pushing the edge of the bandwidth that might choke some players. I will not exceed 6.4 mbps and have had zero rejections.

I assume you are using AC3 for audio?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]