FORUMS: list search recent posts

16X9 Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Luke
16X9 Compression
on Apr 7, 2008 at 7:27:36 am

Hey guys - just looking for some advice. I need to compress 4:3 into 16:9, without the distortion that it creates. Instead, I need it to simply cut off the top and bottom and output it into the shape of a typical 16:9 quicktime. Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: 16X9 Compression
on Apr 7, 2008 at 8:58:38 am

Too vague, what applications are you using or do have available to use?

What is your source and what is your destination format?

Typically for 4:3 material in a 16:9 you would 'pillarbox' the 4:3 clip rather than 'cutting' it into the 16:9 frame size.

Return to posts index

Tony Luke
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:56:55 pm

Hey sorry about that mate!

I'm using Compressor and need to compress it into a quicktime that is 16:9, without distorting the actual video itself, merely cropping the top and bottom.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:09:32 pm

Your best bet would be doing the crop in your NLE (Final Cut Pro). This way you can reposition the video for best framing in the crop. This wold give you the letterbox look (black on top and bottom). You could do that an then crop off the black in Compressor.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 8, 2008 at 3:04:15 pm

Personally I wouldn't want to crop it to fit, I'd want to pillarbox it (the opposite of letterbox). Compressor calls this 'Padding', have a look at page 273 of the compressor 3 user manual for details.

Return to posts index

Tony Luke
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:56:57 pm

Hey sorry about that mate!

I'm using Compressor and need to compress it into a quicktime that is 16:9, without distorting the actual video itself, merely cropping the top and bottom.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:06:04 pm

So what's the question? Use Compressor to crop it.
Ed

Return to posts index

Tony Luke
on Apr 8, 2008 at 11:13:51 am

yes... well.. thats the question. im confused on how to do it. Source inset, dimensions? everything ive tried has rendered useless

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]