FORUMS: list search recent posts

Limit File Size on Export - Compressor/Sorenson

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Santora
Limit File Size on Export - Compressor/Sorenson
on Apr 3, 2008 at 5:28:44 pm

I thought I posted this earlier but I had some computer problems - so if this is a double post please excuse it.

I've got Sorenson and Compressor and need to export a quicktime through one of them that always will lock down the file size. Example, I want a setting that will always make a file a maximum of 5mb for email - regardless of the original's length.

Now I was able to do this in Cleaner, but there's no cleaner for Intel Mac. So, in either of these programs, is there a setting to limit the file size?

Thanks
Mark Santora

-------------
Mark Santora
Editor
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Warren R Sampson
Related question - Minimum File Size from Squeeze
on Apr 4, 2008 at 1:46:40 am

I have a bunch of .movs of varying lengths that my boss wants on YouTube.

A related question is how to take the most advantage of the YouTube 1 gig size by making a file that is very nearly or exactly 1 gig. If I upload something that is a lot less than 1 Gig, folks will complain that it doesn't look good enough. If it is exactly 1 Gig, I can say...YouTube did it!

In Squeeze, I have tried several MPEG 4 encodes by checking the "Constrain File Size To" box and entered 1,000,000 KBytes. The resulting encodes are all much smaller than 1 g.

Perhaps Squeeze isn't the place to set the target. Perhaps I need to do it in FCP.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Related question - Minimum File Size from Squeeze
on Apr 4, 2008 at 2:06:46 am

Compressor can get you close. In the Summary area it'll tell you what it estimates the file size will be based on your settings. While not quite the same as limiting the size, you can keep upping (or lowering as the case may be) your data rate until you get near that size.

I find that Compressor under estimates by 10-15% so if you if the Summary says you're around 900MB you're probably much closer.

I do this for Vimeo which has a 500MB per week limit. If you really want good looking videos on a YouTubish like site Vimeo blows the doors off of YouTube. They'll play 720p HD. While it wont show up in the search engines like YouTube, if you want to send clients links to your work it's a much better alternative.

http://www.vimeo.com/

Return to posts index

Warren R Sampson
Re: Related question - Minimum File Size from Squeeze
on Apr 4, 2008 at 9:35:03 pm

Thanks for the tip. I will work it through in Compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]