FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data rate for local playback on school Macs

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren R Sampson
Data rate for local playback on school Macs
on Mar 31, 2008 at 2:53:43 pm

Hi,

I have watched Aahrons DVD and read many links about compressing for web delivery, but I haven't found any good guidelines for compressing for local Flash playback on Macs in grade schools and middle schools (which is a pretty broad range of machines I am sure!) Before we ship I will probably have to go to a compatibility testing facility, but it would be good to have some real world guidance before I sink the time into compressing all our footage.

Our project will feature about 50 minutes of 1024 x 768 live action footage. We are making a Flash app that will play the video in 2-3 minute segments using the flvplayback component. All the footage will be installed on the local drive, so I have to make sure I don't leave a huge footprint. But the footage features dancers doing cool movements so I need smooth playback. We have an installer for the app so we can make sure every machine has an up to date Flash player.

I have the latest version of Squeeze so I have a lot of flexibility on setting rates. Thanks for any experience you have to share on preparing assets for the school market.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Data rate for local playback on school Macs
on Apr 1, 2008 at 8:38:32 am

We really need to know what the lowest common denominator is, i.e. what's the least powerful Mac you are targeting?

Another thing, is your 1024x768 video downsampled HD or upsampled SD, or something else?

Return to posts index

Warren R Sampson
Re: Data rate for local playback on school Macs
on Apr 1, 2008 at 3:50:21 pm

Fair question, Daniel.

I have a contact at a kids software development company, so I will see what they say.

Part of my post was hoping that someone would have been involved in a recent project to be able to give me some ideas to add to the info from developer.

Thanks for your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]