FORUMS: list search recent posts

Am I missing something BASIC here ??

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Alley
Am I missing something BASIC here ??
on Mar 27, 2008 at 11:55:10 pm

I mainly shoot weddings which pan out in their final form at around 1hr after editing. I need to put them on DVD. I export from CS3 as Microsoft uncompressed avi and follow Aharon's advice in his DVD; but 9 times out of 10 I get an error and Squeeze 4.5 produces nothing other than the error message which is unhelpful. Not really as easy as 1-2-3! I'm reluctant to buy Procoder ( which many here seem to recommend) having just shelled out for Squeeze.
I have upgraded the drivers and turned Matrox WYSIWYG off. Is there something else I should be checking on please?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Am I missing something BASIC here ??
on Mar 28, 2008 at 11:27:16 am

What does the error message say?

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Mar 28, 2008 at 12:33:52 pm

If you're already in CS3, you might as well just encode in-suite. Both Premiere/Encore and Squeeze use the same Main Concept MPEG-2 encoder, so you shouldn't get any quality difference at best.

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

Michael Alley
on Mar 28, 2008 at 10:09:09 pm

Thanks Daniel and Ben. . . .
The message, which pops up almost immediately on pressing 'squeeze' simply says 'there was an error compressing the film' or words to that effect - doesn't help much!
I should also have said that I need to compress showreels for use on my web site so I really would like to solve this.
Any more ideas, please?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 31, 2008 at 3:01:03 pm

Have you tried using another codec for export like Quicktime Uncompressed or Quicktime MJPEG or PJPEG?

If nothing works then you really should get in touch with Sorenson for support.

Return to posts index

Michael Alley
on Apr 6, 2008 at 8:00:18 pm

Thanks, Daniel,
I haven't tried Quicktime uncompressed - maybe I will . . . but the point is it should work with uncompressed avi and doesn't.
Think I'll take your advice and try Sorenson again - I must have something incompatibe which is spooking it, I think.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Apr 6, 2008 at 8:11:43 pm

In my humble opinion, avi is an unreliable file format. Quicktime however is not. If the Quicktime method works, why waste time trying to figure out the avi route?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]