FORUMS: list search recent posts

Procoder

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Watts
Procoder
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:30:20 pm

We've got an 80 minute movie we're trying to get the best looking encoding for DVD possible. Using Adobe Encore's (v1.5) encoding is not really looking that great. We've got an older version (1.25) of Procoder and the encodes look much much better. But we can't get more than about 31-36 mins at a time to encode before Procoder errors out. Still working on this problem but we've addressed bad RAM (testing indicates no problems with RAM), various settings, rates and drive destinations..(no difference) and am still running different encodes as I leave every evening.
The computer is a fairly new Windows XP Pro with 3.6 gb processor and 2 gb of RAM. Would love to update Procoder but I want to make sure problem would be solved by that.
Anyway, if anyone has any great ideas, I would appreciate it.

BTW...Source file is an Avid QT Reference on same system.

Also, how would you rate Procoder to competitors?

Thanks

John Watts

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Procoder
on Mar 25, 2008 at 9:52:17 am

Procoder is one of the best out there. I'd try using a non-ref QT for starters to see if that makes a difference, but really you should upgrade to the latest version of Procder.

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Mar 25, 2008 at 11:53:04 am

Since it's free...I'll say Thanks!

That will indeed be one of my future tests. But that long process plus transcoding wouldn't be a long term solution.
We are also looking at their hardware...the Firecoder card.
I wonder if that would accelerate the speed enough to make it worth it.
I have consistently heard that Procoder is one of the better options.

John Watts

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 25, 2008 at 3:41:29 pm

By trying a non-ref file you can at least try to eliminate that as the cause of the truncated transcodes.

Procoder is one of the fastest MPEG-2 transcoders of its type, my worry with the Firecoder card would be if it can achieve the same quality as Procoder in 'Mastering mode'

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Mar 25, 2008 at 8:15:30 pm

We pulled the trigger on the upgrade to Procoder 3 today. Tonight I'll leave an encode going for the full QT file and see if that changes anything.
BTW. Thanks

John Watts

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: Procoder 3 Update
on Apr 9, 2008 at 4:04:01 pm

We have finally succeeded in getting long "mastering quality" encodes to work after upgrading to ProCoder 3. The "stitch" feature also came in handy.
Thanks much to those who contributed, appreciate it.

John Watts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]