FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple and .avi

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terrence Dunlop
Apple and .avi
on Mar 21, 2008 at 7:59:59 pm

Hey guys,

I know a guy (great way to start off a post) who says he can convert .avi files to any Apple Codec I desire. So far he's encoded a number of hours of 3/4" Video into DV25 NTSC Quicktimes without incident. But I'd always heard .avi's don't play well with Apple. Ideally what I'd want is Apple ProRes422 or Apple Uncompressed delivery. He says he can do it.

Just wondering if theoretically it's possible.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Apple and .avi
on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:34:39 pm

Of course, easy, no problem at all. I'd happily take money off people for that kind of work.

That said, only an uncompressed AVI from a high quality source would be much use transcoded to ProRes.

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Mar 24, 2008 at 5:33:19 pm

The issue is that all AVI codecs aren't availiable to QT, so to decompress you'd have to use a PC(with the codecs) to convert to QT. Then comes the gamma headache of the conversion Mac 1.8 pc 2.2. But to generate a prorez qt(which can ONLY be done on a mac) you'd then convert it via qt on the mac. Simple but a multistep process..

d

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

Terrence Dunlop
on Mar 24, 2008 at 6:32:58 pm

Thanks!

You'd figure it would be a multi-step process, but your email helped break it down in a great way.

The company represents that they're able to digitize off of multiple decks through their customized system into .avi - saving time and enabling them to offer a low price per digitized hour. But just so I'm clear: they still need to run it all through a powerful conversion step (in the PC) to make it into a quicktime, and then import into MAc, and through a qt to prores conversion. And that takes time. Trying to parse the opportunity in front of me here ...

Can you elaborate on "the gamma headache of the conversion Mac 1.8 pc 2.2?"

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Mar 25, 2008 at 4:16:27 pm

apple and microsoft have different "camps" of thinking. apple encodes its video with a gamma of 1.8 whereas ms does 2.2. if you dont watch and tell the encoder what the input gamma level is you video will not get "apples in apples out" encode. no pun intended. basically the color in the video usually gets darker and crushes your detail in the low to mid black detail..

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]