FORUMS: list search recent posts

FLV Editing

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Baim
FLV Editing
on Mar 20, 2008 at 6:23:22 pm

I have used Windows Media Encoder 9 for creating WMV files and Windows Media Editor to split them up into smaller segments(Save As & Index).
1. What software is available to split longer FLV files into shorter segments without recompressing?
2. If an FLV is imported into Sorenson Squeeze in order to trim it and then exported as a shorter FLV, will it be recompressed?

Rich Baim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: FLV Editing
on Mar 21, 2008 at 12:58:37 pm

1. If you're on a PC and using Premiere you could try this:
http://www.flash-video-mx.com/flv_importer/

2. Yes - it'll need to be re-compressed, and I'm fairly sure you'll need to re-compress with the the flv_importer, above.

Return to posts index

Richard Baim
on Mar 21, 2008 at 9:20:03 pm

My plan is to encode the FLV with Flash Media Encoder 2.0. The source will be a video camera and wireless mike. One scenario is that the presentation will be 1 1/2 hours and it needs to be split into three segments.

This project will have approx. 30 hours of content and I'm trying to streamline it.

Another possibility is to record AVIs using CS3 OnLocation on a laptop and then bring the AVIs into Sorenson Squeeze.

Any other ideas?

Rich Baim

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Mar 21, 2008 at 10:30:47 pm

Well, call me old fashioned but the traditional route would be to film, and record to tape/disc. Ingest into an editor, edit, and export to a transcoder like, episode, procoder or squeeze to produce the final output.

The bottom line is that the final step should be to the delivery codec, in your case FLV, going to FLV early in the workflow would, IMHO, be a complete waste of time.

Return to posts index

Richard Baim
on Mar 24, 2008 at 2:44:46 am

Daniel,

Thanks for your input. The traditional route makes sense. I'll record using Adobe OnLocation on a laptop with a large external drive and run DV tape for backup. OnLocation will save about 30 hours of ingest time. Then I'll use Sorensen Squeeze to create FLVs with a custom skin.

Because of high volume & the need to upload files to a server on the same day as recording, I have used a Viewcast GoStream for real time encoding and then Windows Media Editor to break the WMVS into smaller segments without recompression. The GoStream can output FLVs and I'm wondering if there is something similar to Windows Media Editor, WME, that can be used to quickly split a long lecture into smaller parts without recompression.

Rich Baim, M.Ed.
Adobe Certified Expert & Adobe Certified Instructor
Adobe Premiere CS3

Return to posts index

Guillermo Revuelta
on Apr 23, 2008 at 11:41:26 am

Hello,

1. What software is available to split longer FLV files into shorter segments without recompressing?

Movica allows to split flv files without recompressing:
http://vani.bhargav.googlepages.com/movica

Movica is a bit slow injecting keyframes (needed for editing). Use FLVMDI instead, first and then use Movica to split the file.

http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/

Regards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]