FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ben's 2008 compression classes

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Waggoner
Ben's 2008 compression classes
on Mar 18, 2008 at 9:58:30 pm

It's that time of year again - my classes at Stanford and Portland State are coming up. Note that it was part of my hiring agreement with Microsoft that I keep teaching these classes, with complete freedom to cover any and all formats. So I'll be tackling MPEG-1/2/4 and Flash as well as WMV and Silverlight, and we'll spend time on a variety of tools on both Mac and Windows.

The full details are up here:

http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Here’s the quick details on the two classes:

Portland State University April 1-June 3
Compression for Digital Media (MP404) section: 208A CEUs: 3.0

This is my fourth year teaching the seminar in the once-a-week format, each class roughly mapping to what I did in half of each day at Stanford. The longer schedule lets me to stretch out a bit in topics, and assign some of what would have to be in-class work at Stanford as homework.
The class is going to be every Tuesday night from April 1st through June 3rd. I'll be bringing in a guest speaker to cover podcasting for the weeks of NAB at Streaming Media East.

Because of the travel requirements, the class mainly pulls in students from the greater Portland area, although we've had students commuting from as far away as Seattle and Eugene.

Stanford University June 23-27
Mastering Video Compression

The granddaddy. I've been teaching this class once or twice a summer since 2001 (just once the last couple of years due to all my other commitments). Eight hours of compression goodness a day, drawing a national and sometimes international group of students. It's a good mix of educators, professional compressionists, creative industry folks, and other professionals who need to deliver video even if it isn't their formal day job.

I may end the week sounding like Harvey Firestein, but it's a great, intense time, sharing lunch most days as well as full days in the classroom. Some pretty important people in the industry have come out of the class over the years.
The Stanford campus is also a lovely place to be in June. On-campus housing and a meal plan are available for non-local students (who are in the majority).

Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Strategist, Silverlight
Microsoft Corporation

Compression Blog: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/
Compression Classes at Stanford and PSU: on10.net/blogs/benwagg/21622/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]