FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime/Squeeze 4.3 - .flv compression audio error

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beth Weatherly
Quicktime/Squeeze 4.3 - .flv compression audio error
on Feb 29, 2008 at 10:29:06 pm

I'm compressing several self contained quicktime movie files (exported out of FCP), roughly 2 minutes in length, to .flv files using On2 VP6 Pro. The video comes out fine, as expected - but the audio track is riddled with popping sounds. The noise sounds similar to the way a record player pops. No combination of different audio compression settings seem to make any difference. There are no filters applied to the audio (although I did try adding "normalize audio", but it made no difference).

Up until about a couple of months ago, the settings I've used have worked swimmingly. With no apparent change to either the quicktime export settings or the squeeze compression settings, this error started to occur.

One last plot twist - I first noticed the popping noises happening when I was compressing .wmv files for powerpoint in squeeze. I simply removed a normalize audio filter I had applied last minute, and the popping noise disappeared (I haven't had any problems with .wmv since). Shortly thereafter the popping noise appeared in my .flv files, and no amount of tinkering with the settings has made it go away.

The common denominator is quicktime, of course, but I can't pinpoint a problem there either. I'm running 7.4.1

Here's the specifics:

Fraunhofer MP3
48 Kbps
Mono

On2 VP6 Pro
2 pass VBR
430 kbps

I know i have an older version of squeeze, and updating just isn't an option without endless levels of corporate bureaucracy. Has anyone experienced a problem like this?

Beth

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Quicktime/Squeeze 4.3 - .flv compression audio error
on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:15:19 pm

This problem is most commonly caused by bad sample rate conversion within the editing application, FCP in your case. Check your source audio sample rate and compare that to the settings for the FCP sequence/project/clips.

Return to posts index

Beth Weatherly
Re: Quicktime/Squeeze 4.3 - .flv compression audio error
on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:45:05 pm

Okay, so I exported the quicktime from FCP with a sample rate matching that of my source audio (48000), and the popping was still there - Then I exported it from FCP with a sample rate matching my compression settings (44100) and it seems to have worked!

Thanks for your help!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]