FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low Chroma Levels in Squeeze 4.5

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
whitlock dunbar
Low Chroma Levels in Squeeze 4.5
on Feb 21, 2008 at 7:26:01 pm

I have an uncompressed animation from After Effects going into Squeeze. The resulting VP6 flv looks washed out, that is the chroma levels are low. There isn't a Squeeze filter to alter color values, so is this a matter of converting from YUV to RGB or is there another issue at play?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Low Chroma Levels in Squeeze 4.5
on Feb 21, 2008 at 7:42:46 pm

Like I've said before, I don't consider Squeeze as a professional level application and the lack of decent colour correction tools is another reason why it isn't.

That said, there is no reason that VP6 will be knocking out your chroma levels to a serious level unless you are aiming at a very low bitrate.

Try downloading a demo of Flix from On2 and see if the same thing happens with your chroma levels.

If you are serious about compression, I'd seriously consider looking at getting another application to do the job for you.

Are you sure your animation is YUV? What method did you use to export it from AE?

Return to posts index

whitlock dunbar
on Feb 21, 2008 at 9:56:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've been asked by our Flash Dev guys to keep the bitrate below 300 kB/sec, so I will experiment with using higher rates.

I'm sorry I confused the issue of YUV to RGB. I think I read once that YUV compresses better than RGB, so I wondered if I made the conversion within After Effects if it would make a difference.

The consensus here seems to be that Squeeze is considered a professional application, but please let me know if this is not so. We're looking for the best possible compression solutions (hardware or software) regarless of cost.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:51:50 pm

If you're aiming for a frame size of less than 320x240 with average-motion content, 300Kb/s is not a very low bitrate.

It worth bearing in mind that if you are delivering to a PC audience, it's best to work as much as possible in RGB.

P.s. http://www.poynton.com/papers/YUV_and_luminance_harmful.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]