FORUMS: list search recent posts

Youtube 23.98p?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Cheney
Youtube 23.98p?
on Feb 20, 2008 at 10:35:52 pm

Does anyone know if you can upload 23.98p content to youtube. I always heard that they convert everything to 30p.

If this is true. What is the best way to convert 23.98p footage to 30p? I currently use Apple's Compressor 3.0.2 and set the target frame rate to 30p. I turn on the frame controls and set motion compensation to best and make the video 100% of the source. It looks okay, but there is definitely some motion blur (expected).

It would be great if I could just upload a video at 23.98. You think it would work now that they are converting the videos to H.264.

Any thoughts or answers?

-g-

Mac Power PC G5 - OS X 10.4.11 - FCP6 - After Effects CS3 - Panasonic HVX200

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Youtube 23.98p?
on Feb 21, 2008 at 7:49:46 pm

Ok, your workflow with compressor is a certainly a solution, but the big question is, why bother?

Youtube messes with the quality of your videos in so many different ways already that, IMHO, your high quality frame rate conversion will hardly be noticed!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2008 at 8:02:46 pm

If quality is really important, try Vimeo.
YouTube and Google Video will rank in Google searches so YouTube is important for viral distribution but if you want to send/embed links to show work to clients, Vimeo is great.

You can upload HD content (up to 500MB per week). It's encoded to Flash using On2VP6 rather than Spark (seems to be what YouTube is using). The user can display at Standard Def or HD quality (HD is 720p24). And you can optionally make your source file available for download so if you upload 720p24 H.264 people can download that. Vimeo is free like YouTube.

Return to posts index

Grant Cheney
on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:11:27 pm

The people I work for want to have a youtube channel for some promo videos, it just so happens most of the content is 24p. Otherwise, I totally agree with you, I would love to use a different service for quality.

So, I guess I'll continue with my current workflow and cross my fingers that either youtube will up their quality options or that the people I work for decide on a better service.

You'd think since youtube is now using the H.264 codec that they would except 24p content? someday?

-g-

Mac Power PC G5 - OS X 10.4.11 - FCP6 - After Effects CS3 - Panasonic HVX200

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]