FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 for flash video on the web

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Tesh
H.264 for flash video on the web
on Feb 19, 2008 at 4:44:35 pm

Ok I know that Adobe says Flash 9 supports H.264 video. I also know that YouTube has been re-encoding all their videos now for about a year. But I'm having a hard time finding any information on how to go about this myself.
A simple how-to guide would be nice. Or even just a few parameters. I'm also interested in any statistics as to what kind of playback issues people might be facing.

1. Are there any bitrate limitations?
2. What kind of H.264? When encoding for an iPod you have to be specific, are web based FLV players going to be the same way?
2. Can I use any standard web based FLV player?
3. Do I have to rename the extension of the file?
4. Will mobile phones that can't play FLV's but can play H.264 videos, be able to play these on a standard website with a standard FLV embedded player?

Lots of questions, seemingly little answers. Any help is appreciated. We've love I'd love to jump on this asap for some of my companies web projects.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: H.264 for flash video on the web
on Feb 19, 2008 at 5:35:39 pm

There's a fair bit out there on the interweb already about Flash & H.264

A slightly complex but good starting point is:

http://www.kaourantin.net/2007/08/what-just-happened-to-video-on-web_20.htm...

Please come back here if that page doesn't cover off all your questions.

Return to posts index

Len Reston
Re: H.264 for flash video on the web
on Apr 7, 2008 at 7:03:34 pm

Append YT URL with &fmt=18 for their h.264 aac version. They started stereo aac Mar 8-9th and once again appear to be re-encoding all files on their server. I've been uploading 480x360 x264 4Mbps, 44.1KHz 2ch PCM. Only problem is YT's audio "compressor" that makes everything sound loud. They may have their reasons or it is seriously mal-adjusted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]