FORUMS: list search recent posts

Next Generation Windows Media Codec?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Milner
Next Generation Windows Media Codec?
on Feb 18, 2008 at 8:53:12 pm

It is very clear that the most current Flash encoded files have better quality at lower datarates (250kb per second)then WMV.

With the release of Silverlight, you'd think that MS would want to have a competitive solution here.

This brings up the question, when or will there be a next generation WMV codec that will match or exceed Flash at lower datarate? Or is MS satified that they've got SMPTE to standardizd VC-1 that they are going on to something else?

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Next Generation Windows Media Codec?
on Feb 19, 2008 at 2:24:33 pm

As more and more people get access to broadband, and as broadband speeds are constantly increasing, the demand for low bitrate media is, and has been for some years, on the decline.

It's pretty obvious that speeds everywhere are going up, not staying still or going down. As such I don't see the point in Microsoft developing a new or updated version of WMV for that type of delivery bandwidth.

sub 250Kb/s video is very 'last-year'!

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
on Feb 19, 2008 at 4:43:53 pm

That's an interesting POV.

So you believe that since everyone will have broadband, you see no benefit of being able to deliver better quality video at lower bit rates.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 19, 2008 at 5:27:38 pm

Of course I see the benefit of delivering better quality at low bitrates. Now that more and more of us have access to high quality HD (and above) source that job is easier than it ever was in the world of SD.
However I don't see that as a space that Microsoft wants or indeed needs to lead in. To me it's obvious that MS would rather have its content delivered over Broadband, IP, HD Disc and so on rather than over narrowband, CD-ROM or less. There's much less money to be made in that area, the viewing public nowadays expect a rich media experience, and so do the advertisers.

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
on Feb 19, 2008 at 7:24:44 pm

You make excellent points. My frustration is trying to distribute wmv when I know that the flash files are so much better at the same bit rate.

My audience tends to be non-cutting edge- people 55 and older, so they tend to have the slowest dsl lines and find that adequate for their needs.

I hope that the day comes sooner then later that big wide broadband pipes are everywhere.

Again, Thanks for your response

Richard

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 19, 2008 at 8:15:16 pm

Why don't you deliver Flash?

Return to posts index

Richard Milner
on Feb 19, 2008 at 8:38:54 pm

The Internet developer is using Silverlight

I have to decide if it is worth going with another developer for the higher quality.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 19, 2008 at 9:02:43 pm

Interesting, given your audience I'd say Silverlight was a 'pioneering' and envelope-pushing choice by your developer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]