FORUMS: list search recent posts

DG conversions of Sigma encoded spots

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pilhofer
DG conversions of Sigma encoded spots
on Feb 13, 2008 at 11:31:33 pm

I am looking for some input on DG Fast Channel conversion of files containing a encoded Sigma watermark. First of all we have passed DG certification transferring files converted through Episode Pro 4.1.1………. this is not the problem. Here is the problem…….
the Episode patch we are using crops 6 lines off the top of the 720 x 486 uncompressed 10 bit file before it adds the 32 lines of black at the top. This "cropping" step chops off the watermark information imbedded in lines 20 & 22……..not good. I tried cropped from the bottom but the problem there is that the Sigma signal is now located in line 25 according to DG…..

Is anyone Sigma encoding their spots before making the Episode conversion to MPEG2? If so how are accomplishing this and still maintaining the watermarking in lines 20 & 22?

Any help would be great….

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: DG conversions of Sigma encoded spots
on Feb 14, 2008 at 8:19:50 pm

[Eric Pilhofer] "one Sigma encoding their spots before making the Episode conversion to MPEG2? If so how are accomplishing this and still maintaining the watermarking in lines 20 & 22? "

Wouldn't you be adding the Sigma encoding AFTER adding the 32 lines on the top?

Return to posts index

Eric Pilhofer
on Feb 14, 2008 at 8:34:45 pm

Watermarking may not be the correct term, the Sigma is inserted into the vertical interval and the audio track. Are you suggesting that we convert the spots to MPEG2 adding the 32 lines of black on top, then Sigma encode. This would then put the Sigma code in the black. I didn't know if that would work. Secondly, being that the Sigma encoding System requires that you run SDI signal though it in real-time I have no idea how to accomplish this once the spot has been converted to an MPEG2 file.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 14, 2008 at 9:45:19 pm

Nielsen Sigma encoding is recorded on lines 20 & 22 which would be in the Vertical Blanking Interval which would not be visible to the viewer unless they had full scan or underscan monitor.

You'd probably need a box that can play the mpeg2 encode SDI out to the Nielsen Sigma encoder. Have you asked if DG can do the encode on their end?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]