FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Compression software for Windows

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Ionescu
Video Compression software for Windows
on Feb 8, 2008 at 1:29:46 pm

Hi! I've been looking around the forum and I couldn't find anything relevant... Which are the best compression solutions for Windows? A lot of answers revolve around Episode, but, unfortunately, it's Mac only... Squeeze pops up a lot, but I would like to know if there is an alternative to it (maybe even better :) ).

Thank you for the responses :D

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
Re: Video Compression software for Windows
on Feb 8, 2008 at 7:27:47 pm

Canopus Procoder, the swiss army knife:
http://www.canopus.com/products/ProCoderSW/index.php
Ed

Return to posts index

Victor Ionescu
on Feb 9, 2008 at 9:48:37 am

Hi! I'm currently trying out Procoder and I'm having some issues... I want to render out to H264 but it gives me errors. It does the same when I add as a source file an .mp4 clip. Does it have anything to do with the codecs on my machine? Because I'm using Quicktime Alternative and not the actual Quicktime package...

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 9, 2008 at 11:38:05 am

Obviously, you *have* to have Quicktime installed.

What version of Procoder are you testing?

Return to posts index

Ed Dooley
on Feb 9, 2008 at 2:35:07 pm

Not certain if you need QT, but with QTAlternative you need to have some extras installed
(Core AVC is the important extra):
Ed
>>QuickTime DirectShow parser
For opening QuickTime files in DirectShow based players (e.g. Windows Media Player). This filter works correctly with most files, but not with all files. To play QuickTime files, you also need to install the decoder below.

QuickTime DirectShow decoder wrapper
For decoding various QuickTime audio and video formats. For decoding H.264 video and
AAC audio, which are the primary formats in QT7, you need to install separate filters. Those filters are also included in this pack.

CoreAVC
For decoding H.264 video. You don't need this if you already have a H.264 decoder (such as ffdshow) installed.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Feb 9, 2008 at 3:03:15 pm

IMHO QT Alternative is a pointless waste of time and in my experience causes many more problems than it tries to solve.

You only have to look at the first few posts on the site to realise it's a can of worms!

http://www.free-codecs.com/reviews/QuickTime_Alternative.htm

Return to posts index

Victor Ionescu
on Feb 9, 2008 at 5:45:03 pm

Thank you all for your responses... They helped me out... and procoder seems to be a really good piece of software

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]