FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode issue with Compressor 3

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Riley
Timecode issue with Compressor 3
on Feb 7, 2008 at 9:01:53 pm

I have a QuickTime file that starts at timecode 02:00:30:00. The timecode was embedded during capture on another Final Cut Pro system.

Both QuickTime Player and Final Cut Pro show this as the starting timecode for the clip. When I drop this same clip into Compressor, it tells me the first frame has a timecode of 02:00:20:18. Ugh. I've verified this with multiple systems.

Has anyone else seen this?

Having consistent timecode is essential to an accurate workflow and this sure isn't it. Compressor is supposed to be able to do this kind of thing, since it even has a timecode burn filter but if it can't get the code right, what's the point?

-Matt

Return to posts index

Will Wulff
Re: Timecode issue with Compressor 3
on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:32:15 pm

I too am experiencing a timecode issue with Compressor 3. Certain video files, when uploaded to compressor and converted to MPEG2, display the wrong timecode when played in VLC or Windows Media Player. However, when played in Quicktime, the timecode is fine. There is nothing wrong with the video itself, and it plays completely from beginning to end no problem. The only issue is the timecode. It can be off by several minutes. In one instance the was wrong by almost an hour. I uploaded the same videos to Adobe Media Encoder, exported them with to MPEG2 under the same settings in that program, and did not encounter this problem. If there is an answer to this solution it would be greatly appreciated.

-Will

Return to posts index

Matt Riley
Re: Timecode issue with Compressor 3
on Nov 10, 2009 at 11:38:49 pm

It seems that Compressor 3.5 (included in Final Cut Studio 3, or whatever Apple is calling it) remedies the TC issue for me. All of my TC issues were with 24p material.

I think Compressor 3 was interpreting all TC as being 29.97 base and there was no way to change the way it was thinking. This was one of the first things I checked after installing FCS3 and it appears the latest version of Compressor can count TC at 24p.

-Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]