FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Video Quality

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Cooley
DV Video Quality
on Feb 5, 2008 at 10:35:51 pm

I have edited footage shot in good ol' DV. Now I am compressing it using compressor (DVD: 90 min Best settings, dolby digital stereo) burning it to a DVD in DVD Studio Pro. The video quality on the DVD is not good. There are artifacts around sharp edges and contrasting colors. What can I do to get a cleaner output?

Also, I was wondering if I...
1) output my timeline to tape,
2) then recapture it again strait from the deck
3) Export, Compress, and Burn the captured file
...maybe there would be less artifacts because all the effects, color correction, and graphics are in one new captured file rather than existing as separate files in my timeline. Maybe this is idiotic.

I would do all of this in FCP obviously. I know that DV is a low res, high compression codec, but it is what I have to work with. Also, does anyone export a DV timline to ProRes and then compress that? Any benefit?

Thanks so much

Canon XHA1
MacBook Pro
FCPS2, Photoshop CS3, AfterEffects CS3

Return to posts index

Erik Pontius
Re: DV Video Quality
on Feb 5, 2008 at 11:27:09 pm

You'll want to limit any further compressing..so I wouldn't recommend dumping to tape and recapturing...
How long is your actual video?
The problem with presets is that they aren't always the best choice in every situation.
To squeeze the best quality out of what you have to work with, you need to tinker with the compression settings.
If your video is less then 30mins, go all out with 7mb/s CBR encoding. If you have longer video 1h+, I'd recommend finding a bitrate calculator online to get a ballpark estimate of what VBR bitrate to aim for, not exceeding 7mb/s (for compatibility).
Tricky thing with DVD is that it has a finite amount of space on it. The only variable in the encoding you have to work with is how much compression is used for the video (audio has set bitrates) in order to make it fit. There are always tradeoffs. Cramming a two hour video on a single layer DVD might require some brutal compression and won't be anywhere near the quality of your original source...

Erik

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:03:42 am

Are you judging the quality on your MacBook monitor or on a regular TV monitor after encoding to a DVD disc?

Deinterlacing in Final Cut or Compressor might help some aliasing when viewed on an LCD panel or computer playback.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Ian Cooley
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:05:14 am

I am judging the playback on a TV. It's worse on a computer monitor. I think that I am going to up the bit rate on encoding to see what difference that makes. thanks for the responses.

ian

Canon XHA1
MacBook Pro
FCPS2, Photoshop CS3, AfterEffects CS3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]