FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internet killed the video star

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Graziano
Internet killed the video star
on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:39:19 am

I watched it at work the other day and learned a lot... but i have one question.

I know Aharon says not to use your video editing software to compress video, but what setting should i use when exporting video out of FCP or AE for my final compression in Squeeze?

The setting "None" seems like the most logical, I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: Internet killed the video star
on Feb 4, 2008 at 10:04:42 am

For FCP - Best to export a non-self contained clip (in other words a 'reference' clip) using the exact same settings as the sequence you are exporting from.

That way you'll save disk space, and you'll not be degrading the quality at all, nor will you be converting it to another format, unnecessarily.

Using 'None' exports an uncompressed clip, which is pointless most of the time.

I'm not sure if AE supports export by reference......?

Return to posts index

Erik Pontius
on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:29:16 am

It probably can't. A reference file refers (hence the name) to existing media on the drive. Since AE is creating this media by rendering a comp, it is essentially creating a self contained file anyway. Reference files are great for exporting from an NLE since you have already captured a lot of content from tape, created little bits of media (like transitions and small effects) it avoids possibly re-compressing media again, is created very fast and creates a smaller file that instructs other apps where all the little pieces of media are. Because of their very nature, reference files are only useful if they are being used on the same system they were created on. If you were to copy a reference file to another system it would error since it can't find the media.
Out of AE export lossless Quicktimes (i.e. QT animation, Sheer, etc...) or image sequences.

Erik

Return to posts index

Joey Graziano
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:10:20 am

oh nice. thanks a lot, that makes perfect sense.

are there benefits/drawbacks in choosing to export an image sequence over a loss-less quicktime codec?

Return to posts index

Erik Pontius
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:48:52 am

image sequences are great for progressive sequences since by very nature they are progressive. In some cases using lossless image formats like PNG can actually result in a smaller overall size. Image sequences are also universally readable and cross platform. So if you need to hand off an effect to someone else to incorporate into a larger overall piece (like a film) and they are finishing with a proprietary or high-end system (which might be on a linux system or something else that can't read a QT), they may request an image sequence.
If you have a AE project that is a little complex or prone to odd crashes during rendering, exporting to an image sequence can save some time, since every frame up until the crash is still usable allowing you to pick up exporting from a point after the crash. The same can't be said for exporting a QT movie since in most cases if the render crashes the file is in an unusable state..forcing you to begin rendering the whole thing again.
The drawback is that instead of having one large self-contained file, you now have a folder many many files in it, one file for every frame..lose one and everything is a little out of whack since you've skipped a frame. Also, some compression software might not know how to properly deal with image sequences (importing a single file rather than the entire sequence).

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]