FORUMS: list search recent posts

An H.264 encoded file suitable for both podcasting and streaming

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Morel
An H.264 encoded file suitable for both podcasting and streaming
on Jan 27, 2008 at 1:32:26 am

Hi All,

H.264 / Podcast newbie here so this might either be real basic or real "undoable".

First, if I understand correctly, H.264 is the codec and it can be "wrapped" in either an mp4, an m4v or a mov file. Is this correct?

Second, I have a bunch of 2-5 minute talking head video interviews to put up on a web page. Is there a preferred "wrapper" for streaming? Is there one for podcasting? And is there a format that would serve both purposes equally well? A format I could compress once and have the file be either viewed directly from a web page or available as a podcast.

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance for any insights or advice you may have,

Marc

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: An H.264 encoded file suitable for both podcasting and streaming
on Jan 27, 2008 at 11:55:27 pm

I'd say go for .mp4 - that'll work in the broadest variety of devices.

However, there really isn't a good hybrid for streaming/podcasting, since podcasting should be VBR and streaming CBR. Also, a streaming .mov/.mp4 needs hint tracks, which increase the file size for downloads. So, better to do two different encodes for the two scenarios. Also, podcasts tend to be at too high a data rate for streaming.

My compression blog: http://on10.net/blogs/benwagg/

My compression class at Stanford: http://digitalmediaacademy.org/courses/video-compression-training.html

Return to posts index

Marc Morel
Re: An H.264 encoded file suitable for both podcasting and streaming
on Jan 28, 2008 at 1:10:31 am

Hi Ben,

I had forseen the hint track difference but the VBR/CBR and data rate differences definitely point to 2 separate encodes.

Thanks,

Marc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]