HD footage to SD DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Steeves
HD footage to SD DVD
on Jan 22, 2008 at 5:35:24 pm

HD footage to SD DVD:

Here is my current workflow for FCP:

Export from 720p 59.94 timeline to qucktime file. Use Quicktime pro to make a uncompressed 10 bit 720x480 letterboxed file.

Then I use Compressor to make my DVD with the best settings I can use.

Here is what goes wrong:

Every pan or tilt has HORRIBLE artifacting and strobing interlace lines. Im sure you all know what I am talking about. It seems like the lines are too hi-res for a standard def signal.

Watching these DVDs on the computer is not so bad...on a TV it is horrendous.

To ease the problem I have been applying blur to my exports to knock the resolution down a peg. This results in less than desirable video quality and the problem still remains.

Am I possibly setting the field orders wrong? I think I have been setting everything to progressive so far.

Apple Certified Final Cut Pro 6
Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
Re: HD footage to SD DVD
on Jan 22, 2008 at 10:53:10 pm

Is there a specific reason you need to letterbox to 720x480?

I think you'll find that if you go directly to compressor without the Quicktime step, which, if you're working on the same Mac is totally unnecessary, it'll do the trick for you.

The compressor user manual has all the information you need on producing a 480p 16x9 anamorphic file.

Return to posts index

matt steeves
on Jan 22, 2008 at 11:49:21 pm

The client does not like the wide screen unfortunately...they prefer the 4x3 letterbox.

Do you think that compressor does a better job of scaling and interlacing?

DVDs can support a progressive source am I right?

Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 23, 2008 at 7:58:29 am

Yes , compressor will do a much better job at scaling.

You'll certainly NOT want to be doing ANY interlacing!!

All progressive scan capable DVD players include interlaced outputs, make sure the DVD player is not forced to output Progressive only.

Return to posts index

matt steeves
on Jan 23, 2008 at 12:52:14 pm

What if I can't know the type of DVD player the client will be using...which is the best setting to use?

How come I am getting these interlacing problems even when I am outputting progressive?

Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 23, 2008 at 1:19:29 pm

There is no way to be 100% sure that 100% of all DVD players and TVs made will handle your material correctly, especially given that some people will have already changed the default settings and it also depends on how the player is connected to the TV.

I think your biggest issue is that you are creating the letterbox rather than allowing the DVD player/TV do that automatically for you, from an anamorphic source.

Most 4:3 sets will correctly identify the anamorphinc source and letterbox it, all 16:9 sets will display the full picture with no letterboxing.

When you doing the letterboxing you scale down the active 16:9 picture by a large and unnecessary amount. Unless performed with a good quality scaler it is very likely to introduce all sorts of artefacts, possibly the ones you are seeing.

IMHO you should be delivering a progressive, full height anamorphic 16:9 picture in a 4:3 frame.

Have a read through these pages and all should become clear!:

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html?

Return to posts index

Matt Steeves
on Jan 23, 2008 at 1:37:40 pm

I did not know that a television will compensate for a 16x9 DVD.

What do you suggest as far as digital delivery? If it has to be 4x3 should I crop the sides?

Mac Pro 3.0 Quad
Kona LHe
Panasonic HPX-2000

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 23, 2008 at 2:41:55 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by digital delivery, DVD is digital after all.

If it has to be 4:3 then letterboxing it will retain the entire picture. Cropping the sides will obviously remove some of the picture, which could contain important or indeed vital elements.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]