FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long Compressing time in Compressor

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nyphotoga
Long Compressing time in Compressor
on Jan 16, 2008 at 6:05:15 pm

Hey everyone, cant get enough of the Cow....
but I have a question, I have researched it and cant seem to find too much on the subject.

Im compressing short clips, 10-12 mins edited video from FCP thru Compressor to H264, using web setting in Compressor. I think the quality is good, and am getting file sizes between 80-130mbs which is acceptable to us. The video is shot with HVX 200, and edited in FCP on a Mac DP 2.5gz with 8gig Ram and using Medea RAID drives.

Compressing video 10-15mins long is taking approx 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hrs... Ouch. Now some of the video is being used on web sites and Im looking for a faster way of getting this done. Are there any solutions that anyone is using that allows faster compressing times. I have tried it on a friends Mac quad core, and while it is less time, not significantly less...

I have heard of a little device, Elgato, and some people swear that it is faster, but are there any hardware solutions that can speed this up..

tks

George

Return to posts index

superfluouseb
Re: Long Compressing time in Compressor
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:38:46 pm

Compressor is slow... but usually not that slow.

what are the specs of your CPU?

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on Jan 17, 2008 at 3:16:09 am

Hi and thanks for the interest in helping.

I did put the info in my post but here goes. Im using a Mac Dual Proc. 2.5 G5 tower, with 8gigs of ram and medea raid drive. Im exporting the file thru compressor using the Web Setting for Quicktime 7 which works and produces great files for me. In the frame size setting, Im using 320 x240.

the video is shot on a HVX 200, in 720P60 and edited on FCP 5.2. Once edited, Im exporting to compressor with the settings above. It is pretty slow... some of the specs I have read do complain about the 1 hr per 10min time rate for compressing... So Im sure it is not my machine, since everything works fine with no problem.

When exporting I do export the timeline from my raid drive, to the internal sata drive. All specs, and recomendations have indicated that exporting from 1 fast drive to another fast drive is better than working and exporting within the same drive.

Really my question is have anyone used elgato, hardware usb device used to speed up compresion.

Second question is are there any hardware compression device that will work on a mac which will speed up the process. We are trying to make the video shot available online faster than now. It presently takes us about 4hrs to get it out and to the web clients.

1hr. editing, 2hrs+ , compressing and then another 1hr to get it into the right flash or web format..

tks

George

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 17, 2008 at 9:41:47 am

Not having access to compressor at this time, could you remind us by detailing the 'Web setting'.
The things that slow encode times down are multi-pass encoding, and any other settings that are on 'Best' rather than 'better' or 'normal' like deinterlacing etc.

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on Jan 17, 2008 at 2:28:41 pm

Using 320x240, AAC Stereo, 100 % frame rate, multi pass on, H264 at 800kbps.

These are the pertinent settings, I know using higher levels of compressing and shutting off multi pass, can decrease the time, but I have tried these and the quality suffers, especially with more motion in the video. I really do think, that there isnt much to fix other than, to either find some hardware solution, or seriously compromise quality.
But thanks for your interest and answer.

George

Return to posts index

Daniel Low
on Jan 17, 2008 at 3:06:48 pm

You could try some alternative routes using either:

MPEG Streamclip:
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

or ffMPEGx
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

or isquint:
http://www.isquint.org/

All of them should be (much) faster than Compressor.

or take a look at the Elgato Turbo H.264 hardware accelerator product.

Return to posts index

Nathan Veer
on Feb 12, 2010 at 6:18:27 pm

I have yet to find an affordable hardware encoder that does multipass encoding. Both Elgato and Matrox's solutions only do single pass. Form my testing these devices the multipass option makes all the difference in quality. Compressor is slow, especially on a G5 (even if it's dual) but it looks great. However, when I'm in a pinch and I don't have the time I can achieve 90% of the quality with mpegstreamclip. Search it on google. It's a wonderful, free encoder. I love it.1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:26:27 pm

I'm not sure how you tested but Matrox CompressHD single pass looks as good as or better than Apple's H.264 multipass. I'm am certainly not the only one who's noted that.

Return to posts index

Nathan Veer
on Feb 12, 2010 at 7:32:08 pm

Not even close. I actually did my testing with the Matrox Engineers in Canada. In the end I sent them My custom settings and some uncompressed footage and asked them to tear it to pieces and show me what I was doing wrong. After several weeks of trying to match COmpressor's settings the engineers themselves responded by saying they can't come close and that they are working on including multipass encoding. They were great to work with and very helpful but facts are facts. To obtain good quality while achieving small file sizes you have to have multi pass.

Single pass encoding is like asking your encoder to fly blind. It has no idea what's coming up. With multipass it at least knows where the scene changes are and fast motion so it can allocate more data to those areas.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 8:27:55 pm

http://www.suitetake.com/2009/11/06/review-matrox-compress-hd-pcie-card/

Image Quality
The image quality is as good as anything coming out of compressor natively, but at a fraction of the time. In all of the tests that we did I couldn’t see a quality difference between using the card or not.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/news/story/matrox_releases_support_f...

Quality is better than Compressor Single-pass. Matrox High Quality presets use the MAX hardware exclusively, thereby freeing-up CPU power for other tasks. Quality is comparable to Compressor Multi-pass.

and there are others who would disagree with you. Of course any given source media may be different but I would not say generally that MAX at single pass is worse than Apple at multipass. There were times that I found the even MAX with it's simple tick box for deinterlace did a better job than Compressor Frame Controls set to Better.

Return to posts index

Nathan Veer
on Feb 12, 2010 at 8:30:14 pm

As you said every source video is different and it depends what kind of bandwidth you're talking about. I'm talking about encoding for Web. Anything looks decent at high bandwidth. Once you get down to 700 or 500 that is where you can tell the good compressors from the great ones. You can take it up with Matrox them selves. Ask for Jean Pierre.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:33:40 pm

I rarely go that low for web. I bottom out at about 800kbps or so. My own provider starts base consumer download at 15,000kbps and others are around 5000kbps down (again this is where they start at bottom tier service). I guess it depends which market one serves. I don't doubt that many of the typical reviewers may be in somewhat similar situations.

Note this article by Jan Ozer
http://www.streaminglearningcenter.com/articles/youtubes-new-hd-formats.htm...
YouTube 360p 736kbps
YouTube 480p 1202kbps
YouTube 720p 2023kbps

And the new 1080p is closer to 3000kbps
Vimeo is more or less in the same ballpark too.

So bottom line data rates tend to be much higher than they were a year or two ago.

Return to posts index

Nathan Veer
on Feb 12, 2010 at 9:52:04 pm

It definitely depends on your market. I'm dealing with a daily 28:30min show. While I would hate to think of YouTube being any kinds of standard for online video quality, again, most encoders will get by if you keep your bandwidths that high. Then I have to ask myself, what is compression? It's the art of maximizing quality at the smallest acceptable file size.

back to the original discussion, multpass makes all the difference in encoding by the very nature of what it is. Checking the video and it's content before it actually encodes. How can a computer know what data to throw out unless it has seen the footage at least once. Matrox doesn't do this neither does Elgato and that is why you wont see it used in serious web encoding applications.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]