FORUMS: list search recent posts

Squeeze 4.5 bitrate weirdness

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jrice39
Squeeze 4.5 bitrate weirdness
on Jan 10, 2008 at 5:18:15 pm

Hi all,
I am currently compressing my clients movies with Cleaner by Autodesk. I am moving away from it, and looking into Squeeze. It has been a long time coming, but happening now because of codec requiremnts the client has.

My issue is that I am testing Squeeze 4.5 with the On2VP6 codec, and the bitrate for movies seems to be less than expected from calculations. Specifically with CBR 1 Pass, the options of 2 sliders for minimum and maximum are confusing.

Anyways, is there any insight on getting constants from these sliders? any feedback would be great, because I really like the interface of Squeeze and I want to add it to my compression arsenal.

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: Squeeze 4.5 bitrate weirdness
on Jan 11, 2008 at 2:19:29 pm

[jrice39] "the bitrate for movies seems to be less than expected from calculations. Specifically with CBR 1 Pass, the options of 2 sliders for minimum and"

The Minimum and Maximum Quality sliders do not affect the resulting bitrate.
The Help file describes their function;

Minimum Quality

(applies to all

Return to posts index

John M. Rice
Re: Squeeze 4.5 bitrate weirdness
on Jan 11, 2008 at 4:55:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I found from more tests that setting both min and max sliders at 73 gets me pretty close to the expected bitrate. Why it is at that number serves a great mystery to me, but now knowing that I can adjust from there.

One more thing I found, and not sure why, was the slider for 1 Pass Quality VBR did not affect resulting file size, and quite honestly it was tough seeing differences in the results. While one slider made more sense, it didn't seem to do much.

Once again, thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]