FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for WEB

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Editor@heart
Compression for WEB
on Dec 19, 2007 at 10:38:42 am

Hello best forum ever!

I have been working on short clips (the longest is around 3 min) to upload for the web.
I normally have been exporting them with the Quicktime export using the H.264 option, and they have been fine. However, now we are really going to put them on the web (up until now it has been going back and forth concerning editing, voice over, etc.), and I read in the forum that the H.264 is ok for Mac users but some PC's might not work so well with it, and actually one of my colleagues (I am in EU, but the company's in the US) who has a PC was having problems viewing the clips on his computer. It might just a problem with his software, but I wanted to check whether the H.264 is a good compressor for the web (I think most of the people using this site will be PC users).

I also tried the .flv and the .wmv and they both look fine (although the flv is a little pixelized but I am guessing it has something to do with which parameters I gave it...frame rate...etc.), but I still want an expert opinion about this...

Thank you!
Sarah

Sarah A. Levitt
http://www.sarahabalevitt.com

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: Compression for WEB
on Dec 19, 2007 at 1:52:53 pm

H264 requires QT player 7.+ to play. Windows Media Video might require an upgraded player install. Both require the user to download and install something...will your audience do that?

Flash requires the least effort from the audience...worse case is for them to click OK to update the browser plug-in. The quality of all three is quite close...I like Flash.
Creating good quality web video requires either dozens of hours experimenting or read one of dozens of books on the subject or even better option is

Internet Killed the Video Star by Aharon Rabinowitz
A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Available at the Cow Store. Highly recommend it.

Return to posts index

Sarah Levitt
on Dec 19, 2007 at 2:07:57 pm

thanks Mike.
Where can I find this guide?
I will try a few different variations, since I have already tried the flv and it came out very pixelized...so I will give it another shot, but I would like to have a look at the guide and see what he has to say.
Cheers,
Sarah

Sarah A. Levitt
http://www.sarahabalevitt.com

Return to posts index

mike velte
on Dec 20, 2007 at 11:51:07 am

The DVD is available at out Cow Store. Click the Store link near the top of this page and then the first section is the Masters Series DVDs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]