FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing a 5 minute HDV film to download-friendly file?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AdamClements
Compressing a 5 minute HDV film to download-friendly file?
on Dec 13, 2007 at 10:28:27 am

Hi,
I'm working on a job we've shot on HDV and it's been a dream, but we have been asked to compress one section of what we've done (roughly 5 minutes long) to a file which can be hosted on a website for easy download.
All the files I've tried exporting are still 100MB+ and really they need something under 10 at least. The main problem is that it contains subtitles which need to remain legible.
Is it even possible to apply so much compression to such a large file and keep any quality?? Am I literally being asked to perform a miracle?!
Many thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

Dan Wharmby
Re: Compressing a 5 minute HDV film to download-friendly file?
on Dec 14, 2007 at 5:59:47 pm

I'm a big fan of H.264 as a download codec. Have you tried that? I usually mix down to 44.1Hz mono on my audio. You can also bump the frame rate down to half of the source frame rate. So, if it's 1080 60i, you can go to 15fps and if you shot 24p, you can go down to 12fps. Also, play with your keyframes. If there is allot of action and movement in the frame your kind of stuck, but if it's fairly static, you can bump your keyframes up . What's your frame size? You can save allot of bandwidth here to.

Daniel Wharmby
OMG Media Group
Read me at Compressionista

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]