FORUMS: list search recent posts

why uncompressed avi from final cut is smaller and worse?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Sablinski
why uncompressed avi from final cut is smaller and worse?
on Dec 7, 2007 at 4:55:50 pm

Hi folks!

I'm an advertising director an a maniac of having my films archived in full possible quality. So far I've been taking targa sequences straight from any online suite, like smoke or flame, putting it together in virtual dub with wav file and always came very happy with 895mb per 30 seconds of film.

But...

Recently I have switched to mac and became very glad of final cut in polishing director's versions, addind subtitles etc. I have tried to export to uncompressed qt, 8 or 10 bit, but 8 bit looks different somehow (no blacks and extremely far away from the targa, original look (only when viewed on pc - strange) and 10 bit is unreadable by qt on pc... so basically I had a strange feeling of not having a result as "objective" as I had doing uncompressed avis.

When I export using quicktime conversion into uncompressed avi, the result is usually 600mb/30 sec with a slight, nevertheless annoying loss in quality, that in my humble opinion should not be there, as it should be UNCOMPRESSED AVI...

Is there a solution o this? Can I have a 895 mb /30s avis coming out from final cut that will have perfect original quality?

Please help

All the best to you all

Michal Sablinski

Return to posts index

Michal Sablinski
Re: why uncompressed avi from final cut is smaller and worse?
on Dec 10, 2007 at 8:15:13 am

Well, it seems I have found a solution: to have the original quality the only way is to export using quick time conversion as an image sequence and put it together into avi in virtual dub on pc. BTW is there any similar program for mac?

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: why uncompressed avi from final cut is smaller and worse?
on Dec 10, 2007 at 10:01:11 am

Your workflow seems a little crazy.

Why bother with AVI? Why bother going over to Virtualdub.Infact why bother with the PC?
There are a number of Quicktime CODECs that would give you no loss in quality. AVI files are a pain to work with especially cross platform.

Check out the 4:4:4 CODECs listed here:
http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]