FORUMS: list search recent posts

Episode - Stuttering motion in video

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BrianT
Episode - Stuttering motion in video
on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:58:45 am

I'm trying to encode a video mastered as Quicktime 8bit 720x480 into both an Mpeg1 and WMV format. So far, I've tried the highest default quality setting in the EP presets. However, when the video plays through sections where there are objects/images moving across the screen (both left to right an vice versa) the video stutters or catches. It appears that in the encoding process this movement is not being "translated" well and therefore doesn't play back smoothly.

Can anyone suggest some optimal settings? This video will be made available for customer download and is intended to be played back full screen on their computer using Multimedia Presentation software like MediaShout, EasyWorship, and the like.

Episode 4.4

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Episode - Stuttering motion in video
on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:05:30 am

Can you detail your settings in Episode?

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Dec 6, 2007 at 2:58:15 pm

Mpeg1 (Episode Default MPEG-1_HighQuality - except that I keep aspect at 720x480)
Bandwidth Settings:
Coding Type: bitrate based
Average Type: 1150
GOP Format: IBBPBB

Frame Rate: 30 (fast)

Deinterlace: auto detection
Creating New Flds by Edge Detection

Resize:
720x480
Maintain proportions: none

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 4:04:09 pm

Try doubling the bitrate - you'll need a minimum of 2Mb/s for that frame size.
Create new fields: by edge detection interpolation.
Deinterlace type: Deinterlace interlaced frames or Moving areas only.

What machine are you playing these back on?

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Dec 6, 2007 at 4:47:54 pm

I'll try your suggestion. I'm playing the compressed video back on my Mac G5 Dual 2.7 (4GB RAM) The compressed version will be played back mostly on PCs, probably varying dramatically in capability. It's an imperfect world out there for sure, but all of them will be using a presentation software like MediaShout or EasyWorship

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:15:34 pm

Those settings really didn't make a difference. The stuttering is not as bad, but it's still there.

Again, the master is in 8bit NTSC Lower Fields 720x480. It plays out fine.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 7:48:26 pm

Try one of the other presets in Episode and see if you can recreate the problem. Also try an MPEG-1 preset but dont change the frame size, in fact dont change anything and see how that comes out.

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:44:46 pm

Really grateful for your help on this.

I encoded the file using the EP default H264_High Quality and it looks good. So, what can I do to get the Mpeg and WMV versions to look at least as good as the H264 codec?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 6, 2007 at 9:04:45 pm

[BrianT] "So far, I've tried the highest default quality setting in the EP presets"

What's the data rate of the resultant encodes? It may be too high for some computers. Which presets are you using?

MPEG-1_High Quality should play back well on most computers. Avg 1150kbps

WMV9_High Quality should also play back well on most computers. Avg 1200kbps and peak 1600kbps

On the other hand if you're increasing the frame size you may need higher data rates. Some computers may have issues if the data rate is set higher or peaks are higher than they can handle. If the data rate is too low you'll also have issues particularly with quality. Alas compression is all about compromises to hit a target.

Return to posts index

BrianT
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:27:54 pm

I tried the MPEG-1_High Quality default under Web/Download. It still is stuttering where there is motion in the frame.

The data rate on playback is 1258
Frame Rate - 30
File Size - 35.51
Playback rate is - 30

Is there a different mastering format that would allow EP to compress the motion better? Something besides 8bit uncompressed NTSC.

Return to posts index

BrianT
Re: Episode - Follow Up
on Dec 7, 2007 at 4:13:45 am

So, after a couple emails from Episode Tech Support they told me to view the video in the VLC player as I'm on a Mac. Apparently, the Quicktime Player doesn't do well with Mpeg and WMV. And actually, I did find that both those codecs played much better in the VLC player.

Astonishing. What's up with Quicktime? Just when you think you've spent enough money to get the latest and greatest you find that you still have to spend more.

Thanks for the help guys!

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Episode - Follow Up
on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:39:28 am

Well, both Quicktime and VLC are free!

I've rarely had an issue with MPEG-1 played in with Quicktime player, WMV of course is another matter.

At least both QT Player and VLC are miles better than Windows Media Player

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]