FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows Media Widescreen...

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Gould
Windows Media Widescreen...
on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:08:58 am

Hi, I have a 720x486 SD widescreen project I'm exporting out of Premiere as a QT Movie highest quality. I need to compress to Windows Media at two bandwidths: 300kpbs streaming and a larger downloadable version. I have the latest version of Squeeze, my question is what size should I export my 720x486 project out of premiere and what should the resolution be of the streaming and downloadable versions in order to maintain the 16:9? I did a search and couldn't find anything relating to Widescreen. I'd appreciate some direction....thanks.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Dan Wharmby
Re: Windows Media Widescreen...
on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:10:41 am

Hey,

I've had good luck using 854X480 @30FPS as a download and 480X270 15FPS for a preview. I also save a little bandwidth by mixing down to 44.1 and mono audio. Hope that helps.

Daniel Wharmby
Compressionista

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 11:01:02 am

Daniel;
Being picky; both settings are not equally divisable by 8 (or 4) on both axis.
I guess it was a typo on your part but the horizontal dimension on the first setting (854) is actually larger than the source dimension (720). Enlarging the video is last thing you'd want to do!!

Anyway, back to Jeffreys post -

Export out of premiere at full resolution - 720x486 using the source settings.
For the 300Kb/s stream I'd look at a frame size of 384x216, or if you want to push it 448x252 which is divisable by 4 but not 8.
For the high quality download I'd plump for a frame size of 512x288 or 640x360.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 2:09:58 pm

Danny, yes the output would be greater than the source. Your suggested sizes are perfect, but I ended up using 432x240 for the streaming, I'll use 640x360. Appreciate the replies...great forum.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:42:23 pm

I do have one additional question: what bandwidth setting do you go with for downloadable files, I don't see any presets in Squeeze. Thanks.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:53:20 pm

It really depends on the complexity of the content and the quality level you hope to achieve and yet still have a reasonable file size.

For 640x360 I'd suggest starting at 700Kb/s and work up from there. Remember for download files you can use VBR, if you have the time make sure it's 2-pass.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:14:07 pm

Can't thank you enough, file came out to be around 60mb, not sure if that is an acceptable size for viewers to download, but it's large and looks great. Thanks again.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 7:49:45 pm

60MB....well it all depends how long the clip is!

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 8:09:51 pm

It's 9 minutes long...Nature Video on Birds. They also have the streaming one on the same page if they choose. I know I've downloaded QT movies around that size of peoples demo reels from the Cow...I guess if you're interested enough, it's worth your time.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Dec 6, 2007 at 9:37:06 pm

Can you post a link?

Return to posts index

Dan Wharmby
on Dec 6, 2007 at 8:22:41 pm

Danny,

Whoops. Yep, bigger than the source. I've been exporting HDV all day. Thinking in 1080. Thanks for the catch.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:14:25 pm

Here's the link...hope it works. Please post feedback when you get a chance. Thank you.

http://easylink.playstream.com/plasticcosmetic/progressive/OspreyDownload_7...

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Gould
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:45:06 pm

Sorry guys, not sure how to make this a hyperlink that you can right click on and "save target". When you copy this into your browser, it opens WMP. Suggestions?

http://easylink.playstream.com/plasticcosmetic/progressive/OspreyDownload_768K_Stream.wvx?dl=true

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]