FORUMS: list search recent posts

FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cutler
FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash
on Dec 6, 2007 at 1:03:51 am

A few weeks ago I asked about how to encode in H.264 best, for the new Flash player. We all agreed it was best to wait for Adobe to get their standard down for file extension, etc. I got an email today advertising the new Sorenson Squeeze upgrade. Interesting to see the upgrade. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim Cutler
Re: FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash
on Dec 6, 2007 at 2:09:37 am

Follow up: I can't tell from the website just what the upgrade is. It may only be for the product "Squeeze for Flash" and not for Sorenson Squeeze Suite? The company site says the current version of Sorenson Suite (4.5.7) can already do H.264. I guess encoding H.264 for the new flash is still up in the air, closer, but more info is needed.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
Re: FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash
on Dec 7, 2007 at 2:46:16 am

I've been trying to get an answer from them about this. I have the Power Pack and don't see any way to upgrade it, for free or pay. It's kind of frustrating.

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

Jim Cutler
Hi Aharon! Re: FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash
on Dec 7, 2007 at 4:33:56 am

Hey Aharon! You Compression instruction DVDis superb. You explain things beautifully and you're a terrific communicator. I bought mine about a month ago from the Cow.

Regarding H.264 for Flash: I want to change my encoding to H.264 (using Squeeze Power Pack) instead of using the On2 encoder in Squeeze. But has Adobe even announced what the final format and file extension should be? Could it be as simple as embedding an .mov file on your webpage, and Flash player 9 will read it? Or does it somehow have to be wrapped with an accompaning .flv?

Also as you already know, converting to H.264 even on a Quad MacPro takes forever when you're encoding a medium length project. Still, it makes sense to go this way now that Flashplayer 9 supports H.264. Cheers from NY.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
Re: Hi Aharon! FYI: Squeeze advertising 4.8 now including H.264 Flash
on Dec 10, 2007 at 4:29:16 pm

Let me put it this way - I have been trying to research this for the last few days and have come up with very little information that explains what exactly Adobe is doing with regard to H.264.

My gut instinct tells me the format that Flash player will play will be FLV, and specifically, some particular implementation of H.264 - not just any version of H.264 - there are at least a few. This is particularly important if you are trying to create flash players that load an H.264 video. I think it will have to be FLV for that to work. But then again, I'm just guessing.

From other docs I have read, it seems like it should be able to play MOV, MP4, M4v's but not one doc explains how that will happen exactly, and I can't figfure out how to make it do that. It may be a new feature in the next flash CS3 update. I honestly don't know. Or maybe it will be a throw back to the days of Flash 5 and below where you could have an SWF load a quicktime file.

The latest version of Squeeze for Flash does encode video at h.264 - but contrary to what you might think, it still encodes as MP4 - not FLV. So still no FLV with H.264.

Seems to me that Adobe has released the player before we, the users, can create the new h.264 content that it can play. Which is not awful - just confusing. Since upgrading the current player doesn't cost anything or take any real time, having the player ready to go when the content comes out is a decent plan. It's kind of like having a car that runs on 2 types of fuel - Gasoline and something new. That something new hasn't been released yet, but the car still runs on gasoline for now - so no loss.

But still it's been confusing and I wish Adobe had more info on this.

If anyone knows anything, please share.

Thanks.

Aharon

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Dec 13, 2007 at 1:19:03 pm

OK - After asking around, I was pointed to this tutorial on the Adobe website for integrating H.264 video with your flash projects:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/hd_video_flash_player.html

I'd post a short answer here, but this article is long, and the method is complicated for anyone uncomfortable with actionscripting... but it might be just what you need.

Personally, I can't believe this is going to be their ultimate solution for H.264 flash video. More likely, the next iteration of flash will have a simpler solution - possibly an implementation of the FLV format with h.264? which would mean you could import the H.264 FLV file and easily assign it a flash player - or do similar with dreamweaver.

That's my guess, anyway. only time will tell.

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

SoxFan
on Dec 15, 2007 at 3:14:36 am

I encoded an H.264 file and loaded it onto a Flash projector using the new FLV playback component included in the CS3 9.0.2 update. Simply typed the name of the .mov into the properties dialog in Flash, published the Projector to the same location as the movie, then tested the Projector. Took an extra second or two to load, but it worked.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Dec 15, 2007 at 10:50:26 pm

I;m not 100% clear on what you are saying. Can you give a step by step?

Start from after you had a completed MOV using the H.264 codec. You opened Flash... and did what?

Thanks!

Aharon

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

Alan Abrams
on Dec 18, 2007 at 3:20:41 am

Hi.. Sorry for the delayed response...

After running the 9.0.2 update to Flash:

1. Dragged an instance of the FLV Playback component to the stage
2. In the parameters tab of the component (specifically "contentPath"), I manually input in the name of my movie (throws an error saying it can't find the movie, which you can ignore....you'll be publishing the Flash projector to the same folder the movie is located in)
3. Publish as a Flash projector, making sure in the publish settings to save to the same folder where my movie is located.

In my first few experiments, higher data rate H.264 loads painfully slow. I'm playing around with different compression settings to try to decrease loading time inside of Flash player. we'll see...

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Jan 4, 2008 at 3:16:29 am

Now I'm sorry for the delayed response. I've been traveling.

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a whirl.

Aharon Rabinowitz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]