FORUMS: list search recent posts

WMV best quality

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippos Savvides
WMV best quality
on Nov 29, 2007 at 3:46:22 pm

hello i have several WMV movies with very good quality. When i import them to After Effects in my timeline and create my project, i export the movie again to WMV. However i do not get the same quality results. The final movie is less quality than the original one. Does this have to do anything with my WMV settings? If yes how can i get the best possible results?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: WMV best quality
on Nov 29, 2007 at 4:19:09 pm

Once you render to add FX in After Effects and then compressing again to WMV you're going to have SIGNIFICANT loss. Sorry but there is a fundamental issue with your workflow if quality is important.

If you must work with WMV source IDEALLY it should have been compressed using "Quality" encoding which is 1 Pass VBR with Quality set to 100.

What you target for final export depends on intended use. If your result is for archival or future reuse as a source, use 1 Pass VBR with Quality set to 100.

Any work you do in After Effects should be in the highest quality codec you can manage so your rendering does the least damage.

Return to posts index

Joel Mertz
on Aug 31, 2011 at 8:55:20 pm

Why one pass for best quality? Why not two?

http://joelmertz.net/
Web | Design | Video

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 31, 2011 at 9:09:18 pm

Windows Media spec has 1 pass Quality rather than bit rate based encoding. 1 pass Quality 100 is "archival" (or as archival as WMV gets). It allows the encoder, rather than you, assign the bit for 100% quality. If you target a bit rate as is required in 2 pass encoding, there's no way for you to know assuredly you are getting the best quality. In 2 pass the encoder is targeting the bit rate you've assigned. In 1 pass Quality 100 you're telling the encoder you want maximum needed for best quality.
With WMV 1 pass VBR is Quality based encoding. 2 pass VBR is Bit Rate targeted encoding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]