FORUMS: list search recent posts

player templates in Squeeze

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
efaden
player templates in Squeeze
on Nov 20, 2007 at 6:14:17 pm

Hi all,

Great information here but I have a question that's been raised by a few but never quite answered (at least as best as I can tell from searching).

I'm using Sorensen Squeeze to create a Flash film using a streaming Flash server. No problem encoding the SWF and FLV files and they play fine.

The problem is I don't like the Player Templates skins provided in Squeeze. So I copied over a very basic skin from my Flash application folder (I copied both the .swf and the .fla files) and put it in the Squeeze player template folder. Recompressed in Squeeze selecting the new skin and again, no problems . . . EXCEPT the flash video plays but there's no skin. If I go back and recompress choosing one of Sorensen's skins I get the video and the skin.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
e faden

PS And an advance thank you for any info as well as a past-tense thank you for all the great info I've already used from here.

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
Re: player templates in Squeeze
on Nov 20, 2007 at 6:31:10 pm

Not really sure about this, but I can tell you that the Flash skins that come with flash, are very problematic, for many application. When you create a player in flash, it generates 2 files - the skin's SWF and the player's SWF. The player's SWF loads both the skin and the FLV. Not sure how squeeze would handle that.

Again this is only regarding the player skins that ship with flash.

A quick question - why not just generate the FLV in Squeeze and create the player in Flash, set to load that FLV?

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

procrastination
on Nov 20, 2007 at 6:55:59 pm

[Aharon Rabinowitz] "A quick question - why not just generate the FLV in Squeeze and create the player in Flash, set to load that FLV?"

I agree - this is the way I did my flash video.

You know what would be really cool. If the video tutorial on how to create flash video players (I think Lee B. did it here on CC) came with some project files.

I LOVE the player that Andrew K uses in his videos (could be the same one Creative Cow uses?). I would love to have the flash project file for that player...

Then I could just modify the colors and settings as needed.

Better than creating one from scratch which takes a long time.

late

PRO

Return to posts index

efaden
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:06:14 pm

Hi Aharon,

Many thanks for the info on the Flash skins. Yes, I could make the player in Flash but I'm basically experimenting with Squeeze because I need to do a TON (150+) of small clips and was hoping I could do a simplified workflow with everything batch handled by Squeeze without getting into Flash (which is not my strong suit).

Still, I'm wondering if this issue goes beyond the Flash skins. Does Squeeze itself need a specific parameter to encode to any 3rd party skin?

Again, thanks for the help.

best,
e

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Nov 21, 2007 at 5:42:55 am

procrastination - you can get that player at http://www.AFcomponents.com/

[efaden] "Does Squeeze itself need a specific parameter to encode to any 3rd party skin?"

I genuinely don't know. But if you're looking for a good solution with more player options, try On2 Flix Pro (http://www.on2.com/). Yeah you have to spend some money ($250) but their skins are slicker, and you can also buy 130+ extra player skins for under 30 bucks.

Using flash to create a player is pretty easy once you know how, but given your situation, it may not be the best option. I think Flix Pro might be your best choice.

Aharon Rabinowitz
Email: arabinowitz (AT) yahoo (DOT) com
All Bets Are Off Productions, Inc.
Creative Cow After Effect Podcast
Internet Killed the Video Star: A Guide to Creating Video for the Web

Return to posts index

efaden
on Nov 21, 2007 at 3:03:57 pm

Aharon,

A sincere thanks again for the feedback. I'll look into On2 Flix . . .

best,
e

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]