FORUMS: list search recent posts

export - compression - media

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cory rowe
export - compression - media
on Nov 20, 2007 at 3:43:22 pm

I have about 17 1/2 hours of footage I need to fit on to DVD(s). 2.5 hours of it I need to be broadcast quality. The other 15 can be compressed as much as it can be with in reason. I was thinking about using DVD-R DL or 2 DVD-Rs. I need help with the export settings for the 15hrs that can be super compressed (right now the files are each about 4GB and are in quicktime format 720x480). I am ok with exporting the other 2.5hrs. I would also like any suggestions about which media to use.

Thanks

cr

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: export - compression - media
on Nov 20, 2007 at 4:28:09 pm

What Quicktime codec are the files currently using? (Just open a movie in Quicktime and hit CMD or CTRL + I

Return to posts index

cory rowe
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:15:28 pm

I just want to say thanks in advance for your help.

the 15.5hrs are DV/DVCPRO - NTSC codec (I can change them it that would help)

The other 2.5 I have not exported from final cut yet(I think I will do DV/DVCPRO - NTSC for this part to keep the quality)

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:59:14 pm

Leave the content for broadcast as it is, do not recompress.

For the rest, it really depends on what you end up wanting to do with it. H.264 offers the best efficiency (Quality/Filesize) but there are so many other factors that should be considered before embarking on transcoding over 15 hours of material.

What do you want to do with those 15 hours worth?

Return to posts index

cory rowe
on Nov 20, 2007 at 10:29:14 pm

again thanks for your help.

here is the quick and dirty. my company shoots sporting events and we have partnered with some area high schools and we put together highlight videos for the players. this year the school wanted us to include the "coach cameras" along with the stuff that we shoot. the stuff that is the actual highlights/banquet/bloopers/senior section/slide show needs to be broadcast quality 2.5 hours of stuff (shot with 3ccd camera). now the coach cam stuff around 15hr is shot with the schools camera (dvd cam) and is not good quality to begin with so I encoded it as dv/dvcpro - ntsc (not sure it that is the best option). each complete game is around 4GB (i have 10 games) I need to either include them on the disc with the broadcast stuff (??DVD-R DL) or create 2 DVDs one with broadcast and one with "coach cam" (DVD-R).

cory

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:49:53 am

You still haven't said what is going to be done with the footage once you've put it on DVD(s). Is it going to be broadcast, compressed for the web, viewed on a PC/Mac or played back as if it were a DVD movie on a DVD player? Or.....?

Return to posts index

cory rowe
on Nov 21, 2007 at 12:33:10 pm

sorry

It will all be viewed on DVD players. When I said broadcast quality I guess I need to explain. I want to keep the 2.5hrs at the highest quality possible.

Thanks

Cory

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 21, 2007 at 1:13:00 pm

Getting 15 hours onto 2 x dual layer DVDs is going to reduce the picture quality to a fairly worthless mush, even with the best MPEG-2 transcoder out there.

I'd suggest either cutting down the 15 hours or using more DVD's!

What compression applications/ DVD authoring applications do you have access to?

Return to posts index

cory rowe
on Nov 21, 2007 at 2:42:33 pm

I have compressor and I am using DVD studio Pro 4. So you are saying make the 2.5hr one disc then split the other "coach cam" stuff onto different DVDs. How much size will H.264 save me if I reencode the coach cam stuff?

Thanks again

Cory

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 21, 2007 at 2:56:35 pm

Yup, put the 'high quality' 2.5 hours onto one dual layer DVD. Split the rest over as many DVDs as you can get away with.
Start with the 120minute preset and reduce the datarate to fit. Don;t forget to encode your audio to AC3 to save some extra space.

Transcoding to H.264 won't help in this case as no DVD players accept that format.
MPEG-2 is the only official DVD-Video format, although there are plenty on players out there that work with DVDs with MPEG-4 (Xvid, Divx) content.

Return to posts index

cory rowe
on Nov 21, 2007 at 4:14:46 pm

Thanks again for all of your help.

I was really wanting to have only two DVDs in the case. If I leave the 2.5hr alone put it on a DVD-R DL and really compress the 15hrs what compression settings would you suggest so I can fit the 15 hrs on to one DVD-R. I know it will look like crap but it is worth a shot at this point. I am going to try the compression setting and see how it looks. I am using cinematize pro to get the footage off of the schools DVDs. I am using the DV/DVCPRO - NTSC encode low quality. I am not using the auido. However, I would like to put it on if I can. This is giving me the 4GB quicktime file. I am then going to put that QT file(s) into FCP 5.1.4 and export the mpeg 2 (using compressor) then take those files into DVD studio pro to make the final DVD(s). Any thoughts on how to cut that 15hrs down size wise to make it fit on a DVD-R?

Cory

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 22, 2007 at 2:42:50 pm

This will help you figure out what MPEG-2 data rate to use:

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]