FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 (audio lags badly)

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
procrastination
Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 (audio lags badly)
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:18:48 am

I just finished editing a promo for a client who wanted the video output to flash (a first for me). So I did what any smart person would do and I read up on compressors and other fun things.

I decided on Sorenson Squeeze as my compressor and put in a requisition for it to be purchased. When I first installed it I was excited to see how much flexibility I had.

Anyway - This particular promo video has LOTS of motion so I need to have my keyframes fairly close and my bitrate pretty high. (not a problem)

My problem is that when I play my video back the audio is skewed from the video. Pretty drastically. The video itself is only a minute long and for the audio to skew that much I know there must be a problem.

I went back to my project settings to make sure that I had not changed my frame rate (easy fix right?). Nope: my frame rate is set to 1:1 so that is not the issue.

Then I checked my compression settings and everything seemed ok there. I decided to go with the VP6 Pro codec since I have seen a bit of a quality increase however I noticed the same skew when using the Spark Pro codec.

Anyway - here you can take a look at my settings as I might be missing something so very basic.

Free Image Hosting at <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.ImageShack.us'>http://www.ImageShack.us</a>

Any help someone might be able to provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Fermin

Return to posts index

procrastination
Re: Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 (audio lags badly)
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:22:07 am

One new thing - I just finished kicking the video out of the Flash Video Encoder and the audio is perfect... (however my filesize is just slightly over my target size)

My required video res is 800x450 (16:9) is a 5-6MB filesize too much to expect for a high quality video?

Thanks

Fermin

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 20, 2007 at 10:14:35 am

[procrastination] "My required video res is 800x450 (16:9) is a 5-6MB filesize too much to expect for a high quality video?"

Err, how long is it? - Whatever, I wouldn't worry too much about the file size, if the picture looks good and the sound is good and in synce then you should be happy

Return to posts index

procrastination
on Nov 20, 2007 at 5:49:25 pm

[Danny2007] "Err, how long is it? - Whatever, I wouldn't worry too much about the file size, if the picture looks good and the sound is good and in synce then you should be happy"

It's 1 minute long. (seems VERY short to have the audio skew so badly) I feel bad because the Sorenson program is expensive and in the end it didn't do what I wanted. I ended up just using the Flash Encoder which gave me better results.

I could have delivered the job cheaper if I just used the flash encoder.

Still have not solved the audio problem. If anyone knows please let me know.

Return to posts index

John Collins
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:34:35 pm

I'm having this exact same problem and it seems like a no brainer. Can sorenson just not keep up with the audio? Using the flash encoder works perfect but my file sizes are huge comparatively.

Return to posts index

procrastination
on Dec 5, 2007 at 9:47:44 pm

I don't think that Sorenson does the job well enough. I tried and tried and tried again to get the audio to sync properly but in the end I had to use the Adobe Flash Encoder. I think I might have gained a good 1mb or more in fat but who knows. I would rather my audio be synced up and have a big file I think.

As I said previously in this thread... Its too bad too because I had a whole conversation with my boss about how we just HAD to buy this program because it would solve all our compression problems...

Too bad. Money poorly spent. I just lied and said: WOW, I am so glad I watched that Video online about web compression! It really worked! Bosses were happy. Oh well. Next time I will think twice before spending money like that.

late

PRO

Return to posts index

John Collins
on Dec 12, 2007 at 1:32:33 am

thats a real shame. I watched Internet Killed the Video Star by Aharon Rabinowitz and was pretty impressed with his explanation of Sorenson.

I wish he'd mentioned these audio issues if he's had them. or somebody would throw a tip in here on what the problem might be.

Return to posts index

procrastination
on Dec 12, 2007 at 4:30:08 am

[John Collins] "thats a real shame. I watched Internet Killed the Video Star by Aharon Rabinowitz and was pretty impressed with his explanation of Sorenson."

Don't get me wrong - I learned A LOT from watching just the intro to Aharon's video and he has never lead me wrong before. He does great work and is one of the most valuable resources on AE and Compression, so I am certain that I am doing something wrong...

I just wish I knew what I was doing that was causing the skew. I also realized that I had other issues with my Flash CODEC as well.

I am going to go back to the drawing board on this one.

Please don't take my word for it. I am just a single person who is having this issue obviously.

I will report back with my findings.

PRO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]