FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying & Other Advice

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
homerjdoh
Buying & Other Advice
on Nov 18, 2007 at 6:24:00 pm

Looking for some buying advice. I've been asked to produce web videos lately, so it's becoming a regular platform.

I'm getting inconsistent going upoading QuickTime outputs to YouTube, blip, Current, etc.

So I'm looking into acquiring Flash so I can upload a flv. file to those sites using flv. But, like many things, it's probably not going to be as easy as getting and installing Flash.

So my question is what do I need, aside from getting Flash, to make this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: Buying & Other Advice
on Nov 19, 2007 at 10:08:57 am

I'll assume you're on a Mac:

In order to create flv's you'll need an encoder, the best IMO Episode from http://www.flip4mac.com.

You don't need to get the Flash application to encode to the Flash but it will also do the job, just not as well as Episode.

Have a look around the Adobe site, there's a bunch of useful stuff like this:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/encoding_video_print.html

Return to posts index

homerjdoh
on Nov 19, 2007 at 1:24:13 pm

Thanks. I am on a Mac. I forgot I was posting on the Cow, and not the Apple discussion board.

One other question, what about Sorenson Squeeze 4.5? I was reading about that last night. I'm resigning myself to the fact that his may become a $1,500 solution spread over a couple of pieces of software.

Return to posts index

Danny2007
on Nov 19, 2007 at 2:44:23 pm

Squeeze is another option but in my opinion is not as good as Episode.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 20, 2007 at 3:17:14 am

Episode has gotten the best rankings in articles of late.

You mentioned the high cost of the software, and it is true that it can add up. But you are providing a service for your customer that is a very specialized task. Not just anyone can use compression software well. If you learn it and make great encodes you can bill for it.

You said this was becoming routine...that could mean cash flow too. Don't look at it so much as a cost but as an investment that will have a return in the future.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

scottieh
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:18:01 am

Hi,

I'm on a PC trying to do exactly what the first poster said. What are good software buys for a PC that will compress video files for flash?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]