FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL MPEG to NTSC MPEG, do I need to bother?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rowan
PAL MPEG to NTSC MPEG, do I need to bother?
on Nov 10, 2007 at 3:35:14 am

Some friends in Europe made a little movie which they shot and posted in PAL. They made a DVD and sent it to me and they want me to convert it to an NTSC DVD. This means pulling the file off the DVD and running it through Compressor or something to make the conversion.

It wasn't mass produced, so it doesn't have any region encoding on it. Nor does it have copy protection.

When I examine the details of the file it says that its running at 25fps (the PAL standard, right?). Nothing says "PAL" on it, however.

I believe the movie was created by playing from a digi-Beta tape deck into one of those DVD-recorders, rather than converting it in some software. There is no discernible menu, no "0" VOB file.

The thing is, the movie seems to play fine on any DVD and Television I try it on. If its going at 25fps it doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

So the question is: Do I need to bother converting this file at all? If I just make a bunch of copies (disk image method) for friends around here will they all be able to play it, or is it just that my DVD players are so darn good?

DWR

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: PAL MPEG to NTSC MPEG, do I need to bother?
on Nov 12, 2007 at 10:39:42 pm

Most if not all DVD players will be able to play it...however, if one of your friends still has an older Tube TV that is more than say, 7 or 8 years old, they might only see a bunch of diagonal lines and no picture. If they play it on a computer it will play.

If all your friends are watching on LCD TVs they will have no trouble.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]