FORUMS: list search recent posts

.wmv workflow

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott McAuliffe
.wmv workflow
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:14:07 pm

Hi... I just started a job where we use only PCs and will compress to .wmv, .wmv MBR or Silverlight (.wmv?) with the occasional .flv compression. I come from a mac background so .wmv compression is brand new to me.

My two questions are:

1) What is a good intermediary codec to use coming from Adobe Premier and After Effects (I used Apple PNG in my previous workflow).

2) What PC compression software would you recommend to compress .wmv and possibly .flv files? (I use Squeeze 4.5.6 at home)

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

sm

Scott McAuliffe
Urchin Multimedia Design
http://www.urchinmultimedia.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: .wmv workflow
on Oct 29, 2007 at 3:30:30 pm

[Scott McAuliffe] "1) What is a good intermediary codec to use coming from Adobe Premier and After Effects (I used Apple PNG in my previous workflow).
"

Why use an intermediary codec? Why use PNG? Compressing a file to again be compressed is a BAD thing. Use the timeline codec. 8 or 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2 is good. Some would use Animation coming from After Effects. Generally I'd say export using the timeline codec unless you have a NEED to do otherwise.

[Scott McAuliffe] "2) What PC compression software would you recommend to compress .wmv and possibly .flv files? (I use Squeeze 4.5.6 at home)
"

Why not use Squeeze if you're familiar with it? The Windows version is nearly identical to the Mac. The version uses Flip4Mac for WMV and can't create MBR files. The Windows version can. I'm not sure about Silverlight though. You can also use the free Windows Media Encoder for WMV. If you have big budget you might want to try Rhozet. I haven't tried it yet but I've been meaning to get around to it.

http://www.rhozet.com/

Return to posts index

Scott McAuliffe
on Oct 29, 2007 at 6:42:05 pm

Craig,

thanks for the info. Once upon a time I was told that PNG was a good lossless codec for keeping a master copy of my video in (before I compressed it)... clearly not the case :) I'll tryout your suggestions.

Sounds like I should probably stick with Squeeze then... though I'm still trying to figure out what Silverlight requires.

Any thought on Microsoft Expression Encoder? I had never heard of it until I saw Ben Waggoner's post about it.

Thanks again, Craig.

Cheers,

sm

Scott McAuliffe
Urchin Multimedia Design
http://www.urchinmultimedia.com

Return to posts index

elhombreorquesta
on Oct 31, 2007 at 8:12:56 am

Expression encoder is a very good tool but think of it if your are planning to do a Silverlight application (it's great the access chapters). Try also Windows Media Encoder, is free for PC and it has a lot of features and settings. And the tricky point: try with Windows Movie Maker if you plan to do a ultra fast encoding: Drag-apply one setting and you'll have x1,5 real time encoding. If not these are the best softwares:

Episode Pro and Sorenson Squeeze for Mac.
Procoder-Sorenson Squeeze for PC.

Bye

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]