FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to crop a quiktime movie?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mattyf
How to crop a quiktime movie?
on Oct 23, 2007 at 2:33:56 pm

Hi all.

I'm cutting a show on Avid. It's a film show, aspect ratio 2.35:1 flat. We're trying to figure out how to compress clips for web delivery. Here's our workflow so far:

Export from Avid full size with same as source compression.
Load file into Autodesk Cleaner 6.5 for compression and watermarking.

That's all well and good, but it comes out with a 4:3 quicktime letterboxed for the 2.35:1 material. I want to get rid of those letterbox bars to make the files smaller.

In quicktime, I know you can go into "Show Movie Properties," click on video track, and apply a GIF mask to resize the quicktime window. However, this does NOT seem to remove the information from the file... just mask it off.

For the life of me I can't figure out a way to permanently delete this information outside the mask area, and every combination of settings I try in Cleaner doesn't work properly: it either distorts the picture, or throws away the wrong portion of it. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!!!

-Matt

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: How to crop a quiktime movie?
on Oct 23, 2007 at 11:27:29 pm

Since you are using cleaner, use the crop feature in there.....you'll find it. I was going to suggest using a compression app like cleaner, but you are already there!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Danny2007
Re: How to crop a quiktime movie?
on Oct 24, 2007 at 9:36:32 am

In cleaner just make sure that the aspect ratio of your output is set to either same as source/maintain aspect ratio or set explicitly to 2.35:1. This method won't introduce the letterboxing, as such they'll be no need to crop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]