FORUMS: list search recent posts

FastChannel Telestream Help Needed ASAP!!!!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnnie Travis
FastChannel Telestream Help Needed ASAP!!!!
on Oct 17, 2007 at 9:04:22 pm

I need to upload a TV spot to FastChannel as soon as possible and have never encoded this format before. The specs are as follows:
Video: 18Mbs, MPEG 2 Program Stream, 4:2:2, 9 frame GOP, 29.97 FPS, 4 by 3 Aspect Ratio, 720 x 512 (recommended)
Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2, 2 Channels, 48 KHz, 20 bit, 384 Kbps (recommended)

I own Final Cut Studio 5.1 and I also own Cleaner 6.5 (All Mac).
Any help I could get asap would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!!!

G5 DUAL 2.3,
8GB RAM
CALDIGIT S2VRHD
AJA IO
FCP 5.1.4

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: FastChannel Telestream Help Needed ASAP!!!!
on Oct 17, 2007 at 9:34:49 pm

Looks like you have a mix of DGFastchannel and Pathfire specs.
DG (for spots) has been 720x480
Pathfire (for VNR) is 720x512

I'm a DG user. I use Episode Pro to encode. If you had Episode Pro I can email you a preset.
I have Cleaner 6.5.1 too but I've never used it for DGFastchannel so I can have a look at that but I can't guarentee anything. My Episode Pro settings have passed DG certification though.

Return to posts index

Johnnie Travis
on Oct 17, 2007 at 10:11:46 pm

Craig, thanks for getting back to me. Bill Mitchell (sp?) just called me from FastChannel with settings for Cleaner 6.5. Thanks Craig - you're right - 720 x 480 is the ticket out of FCP to Cleaner.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2007 at 1:55:29 am

Can you post the settings? It might help other folks here using Cleaner and DGFastchannel

Return to posts index

Johnnie Travis
on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:30:05 pm

Well, I wish I had better news, but it's not all bad. After speaking with the pro on this subject, Bill Mitchell, I found out the following information. Cleaner 6.5 for Mac has always had an internal bug when it comes to encoding MPEG-2 Program Streams. The bug causes ANY Mpeg-2 Program Stream to export the video at 640x480 - no matter what the user instructs Cleaner to do. That's the bad news. The good news is that there's a cheaper alternative than Episode or Sorenson for compressing MPEG-2 Program Streams. Bill informed me that I could buy MPEG Encoder 1.5 for Mac for $279. The software is developed by MAIN CONCEPT. See this link for more information:
http://www.mainconcept.com/site/consumer-products-4/mpeg-encoder-mac-757/in...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 23, 2007 at 4:53:24 pm

I was kinda surprised when you originally said you could do it with Cleaner. I would strongly recommend anyone to switch from Cleaner to something else as soon as the need arises.

BTW if you're doing Program Streams, the basic version of Episode at $395 will work. There was a time they were running a cross grade sale which had a significant discount for Cleaner owners too. I think that sale has ended though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]