FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorensen Setting help

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kung-fu_man
Sorensen Setting help
on Oct 15, 2007 at 8:04:04 pm

I have a 115 gigabyte file which I would like to use as a source to create a universally playable file. It is 720x486.

What setting would be best? Any reccomendations?

I guess I need to know my server speed?

Im dealing with an IT person who cant even get their spec together. Im just an editor. I do know Sorenson a bit, but dont have time to experiment with settings.

Return to posts index

JackHammer
Re: Sorensen Setting help
on Oct 16, 2007 at 8:46:42 am

I do know Sorenson a bit, but dont have time to experiment with settings.

Nobody here can give you any magic setting or settings. At least spend a little bit of time experimenting with some of the presets to get a better understanding of what's going on, what output format is going to be the best for you etc.

A similar question to yours would be something along the lines of:

"I've got a car, how do drive it? I guess you need to know my engine size? I'm dealing with a garage but they don't even know what petrol is. I know how to drive a bit but I don't have time to learn all the controls"

Return to posts index

Aharon Rabinowitz
on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:45:41 pm

When you say universally playable - do you mean playable by the largest possible audience?

If so, go with Flash, as it exists on a bout 98% of computers.

I would suggest taking the video into your video editor and re-exporting at 640x480 or some other square pixel based resolution (such as 320x240). the current resolution is designed for broadcast - over the web (as on your PC right now) it will appear stretched. Your compression program can change the aspect ratio, but it won't look as good as if you did it in your video editor.

As far as settings go, your server speed is not really the main issue - you can have a great speed, but if my connection is slow, it will DL slow. The goal is to keep the file size as small as possible while keeping the quality up. Period.

Take a look at the different presets and give a few of them a go. Compression is a lot of give and take, and once you understand what the different compression properties do, you'll have a much better ability to make the right decisions.

Best,

Aharon

----------------------------------------
Aharon Rabinowitz
arabinowitz(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
http://www.allbetsareoff.com

----------------------------------------
Click the link below to subscribe to the Creative Cow After Effects Podcast, and get free AE video tutorials:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=111087911

Return to posts index

kung-fu_man
on Oct 16, 2007 at 7:20:56 pm

Thank you so much. I have compressed many files for the web, but never 1.5 hour videos.

My fear is that the video and audio may not remain in sync.

This is a live concert, I spent lots of time cutting and color correcting it, I dont care if its the best band in the world, I dont know that I could sit for 1.5 hour watching an flv.

Does anyone know what netflix and blockbuster do for those movie downloads. Compression file type?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]