FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor to uncompressed AVI for PC use

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tankboy
Compressor to uncompressed AVI for PC use
on Oct 12, 2007 at 3:14:38 am

Hi Folks

I'm working on a Mac (OSX) based Media 100HDe V11 system in SD and I've done an edit for someone who is taking the finished program to someone else to put into a DVD with other material.

They'll be working on a PC (not sure what system, I have no contact with them) but they have asked via the client for an uncompressed AVI file on disc.

I exported a self contained DV PAL movie (i'm in PAL land) which gave my 13min edit a 2.79GB file size which is okay but when I use compressor to create an uncompressed AVI it gave me a 30GB file! This can't be right-surely!??

Sorry for the lame question (I don't do a lot of file prep for other people) but can anyone walk me thorugh the way they'd use compressor to provide an uncompressed AVI for a PC based person to use in their edit suite. Also what file size should I expect to get in this case.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have cross posted a similar question in the M100 forum for advice on an export straight out of M100 which I also had problems with.

Many thanks
Tankboy

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Compressor to uncompressed AVI for PC use
on Oct 12, 2007 at 6:20:32 am

[tankboy] "I exported a self contained DV PAL movie (i'm in PAL land) which gave my 13min edit a 2.79GB file size which is okay but when I use compressor to create an uncompressed AVI it gave me a 30GB file! This can't be right-surely!??"

Its right!!! Most people deliver on a firewire drive, and the client would have to install MacDrive on their PC in order to access the clip to move it their hard drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

epontius
on Oct 12, 2007 at 9:06:46 pm

You might also find out what they really need. If the source is DV, it's not going to get any better by creating an uncompressed AVI file...it's just going to be a very big file.
I often get similar requests, often times the person requesting the files is not the person actually using them (the editor, web developer, etc...). Providing an uncompressed file can sometime avoid generational quality loss, most likely they will either be importing this file into an NLE to include in a larger piece, whereby providing DV25 or something like the Avid codecs would work or they will encode it to another format like flash or windows media, etc...where most of the compression apps will take a QT file which could be compressed with a lossless codec like QT animation.
Some times it's a matter of providing what they really need versus what they think they want. Ask to talk to whoever is actually using it to get a better understanding of what is really needed.

Erik

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 12, 2007 at 11:39:19 pm

Here is a possible solution....on a Mac download MPEG Streamclip from squared5.com. Open the DV clip in it and choose Export to AVI. Once there in the top pulldown, select Apple PhotoJPEG as the compressor and set the slider to 75%. Make audio uncompressed 48k. Deselct the chroma sampling and scaling etc...make sure you are making the correct file aspect from the left radial buttons. And be sure you have lower field selected. Make movie.

Here's what happens....you get a true PC compatible AVI file, BUT it is much much smaller because you have encoded it with a pretty standard 4:2:2 codec that will retain the quality.

On the PC side it will look like a regular AVI file...however, because you used the PhotoJPEG compressor, the PC will HAVE to have Quicktime installed on it. One final step would be to install the PC version of MPEG Streamclip on the PC and use that app to convert the AVI movie to whatever codec they will use on the PC.

I use this workaround all the time to get large DV or DVCPro50 clips to a PC. As long as the PC has Quicktime installed all will be well.

Good luck.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

tankboy
on Oct 16, 2007 at 7:28:53 am

thanks for all your help guys. As it happens I couldn't speak to the person actually doing the job for various reasons I won't bore you with.

So as someone else said the original source was DVCAM anyway so the file size seemed a bit bloated. Anyway I ended up going the old fashioned way and Mastering it back to DVCAM tape.

Cheers for all you help and comments. I learnt some stuff I'll use next time.

Tankboy

Return to posts index

Rahul Das
on Feb 26, 2009 at 10:22:28 pm

Thank you Rich!
Rahul
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]